Full suspension bargain of the century?

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I like having a hardtail, but will definitely have a full suspension in the future.
Im always looking about at deals, and when the time comes, will probably get a Trek Fuel EX6.
I did have a 2010 Kona Hei Hei 100, which was a fantastic bike.
Ive just come across this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64998
£918 for a brand new full suspension Kona, seems too good to be true. They are also selling the 2010 model, but for £1144.99. How can the older one cost more?
Just read this review for the 2011 bike:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-11-41052
Very tempted to buy one now!!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Component spec looks good for the price. SLX/XT mix chainset, RP2 rear shock, Recon Gold TK air shocks, Elixir brakes. Makes up the majority of the value if bought individually I'd have thought.

At these prices that's what I'd look at. Far too many bikes come with awful spec for that kind of money and you'd just end up upgrading.

No idea about scandium alloy frames, though understand they're aluminium with small bit of scandium in which supposedly makes the alloy better.

And over 50% off RRP. Hmm, makes you wonder why so much off for last year's model. If there are no issues guess you're getting a good frame with it too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Scandium is indeed just an alloying agent (google it, but from memory it's about 5% ish) in what is otherwise 'just' an aluminium alloy, it's expensive (the Scandium) and impacts on frame cost, but it significantly improves the 'strength' of the alloy allowing lighter/thinner tubes, bear in mind that all frames are made of alloys, be they steel, aluminium, 'scandium' or titanium, none are only actually only one metallic element.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    I bought a Kona Blast of CRC recently for £360 as a second bike, retails for around £700. The instuctions that come with it are French, so I can only assume the bikes were bought cheaply from the French distributor by CRC.

The bike came fully set up apart from attaching the handlebars, and arrived in less than 3 days, great service and more importantly a great bike!

Chris
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    it's cheaper because crc are doing were doing a thing where every 24 hours it dropped by 10 percent on certain bikes.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • I've just ordered the tanuki supreme from them

Seems like th sort of bargain that I would put down as too good to be true and not trust it as a dodgy website....
    However as its CRC it's in the too good to miss category instead!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I got a stupidly cheap fixie off CRC once, half price - under £200, and it's great - a perfect commuter. CRC has a good reputation & Kona make nice handling MTBs. Just be sure it's what you are after and the sizing is right.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • arigold
    arigold Posts: 175
    £918?? Is my browser lieng to me?