Noob with noob questions.

Warpáth
Warpáth Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
OK so i haven't had a bike for probably over 15 years now, but due to the need to shift a load of weight. I am planning on buying a bike to help in this endevour. I wasn't really planning on spending much more than around £600 ish, but can i get a decent bike that won't fall to pieces in five minutes for this sum? The reason i ask is the only local shops round here are Halfords/Argos who seemingly sell cheap and nasty dross from what i have seen and been told by others who have bought some of their bikes. And two proper bike shops who's range seems to start from around £1.5k upwards.

Next question is, what types of gearset, suspension, brakes ect should i be looking for? and more importantly what should i be looking to stay clear of?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Carerra from Halfords or Rockrider from Decathlon.
    Your specific questions are like how long is a piece of string - suggest you find some in your price range and take it from there.
    But suspension should be damped, and brakes hydraulic.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The general rule of thumb is £1,000+ for full suspension. £600 should buy you a reasonable entry level hardtail. Spend more on a hardtail rather than less on a full suspension bke, as the former will see you shift more weight than the latter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What sort of riding do you think you'll do?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Warpáth
    Warpáth Posts: 3
    Generally will be sticking to roads, however i would prefer something with at least front suspension given the state of the roads around here. Found this place selling some seemingly decent bikes not too far from me. http://www.saddlesafari.co.uk/bikes/mountainbikes/mensmtb/hardtail-mtb/under-1000/ Any thoughts on the cheapest two there?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Warpáth wrote:
    Generally will be sticking to roads, however i would prefer something with at least front suspension given the state of the roads around here.
    There are no actual "roads" that need mountain bike forks.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah for road youre better off with the weight saving of rigid forks. Just avoid the potholes/cobbled streets/dead people lying in the road.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or buy a road bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If you do want an MTB for about £600 that's how much I paid for my first bike which was a Specialized Hardrock Pro. 80mm forks, hydraulic disc brakes all round a nice beginners bike I reckon. If you're looking to ride the roads for a while to get fit and lose weight and then start riding off road then this may be a good option?

In fact here it is for £499 (pic shows it in red but it's much nicer in black IMO):

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... &vid=28935

Hope that helps.
  • hunta
    hunta Posts: 35
    If you do want an MTB for about £600 that's how much I paid for my first bike which was a Specialized Hardrock Pro. 80mm forks, hydraulic disc brakes all round a nice beginners bike I reckon. If you're looking to ride the roads for a while to get fit and lose weight and then start riding off road then this may be a good option?

In fact here it is for £499 (pic shows it in red but it's much nicer in black IMO):

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... &vid=28935

Hope that helps.

Or if you're after a deal I've got a barely used 2009 Hardrock Sport (cable disk brakes, not hydraulic) which I'm open to offers on. I expect you'd get a boat-load of change out of £600 though! PM me if you're interested.