This is what happens when you hit a Tree. . .

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 465
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Went out today with my Neighbour who is getting back into Mountain Biking and on one particularly fun bit of track, he ran wide and went straight into a tree. After I stopped laughing, made sure he was OK and inspected the bike, the impact had amazingly not damaged the wheel or forks, but did this to the frame. . . . The bike out of interest is MASSI (big in spain - not in the UK and was a £1.5k bike when new (4 years ago) so it wasn't like it was a cheapo. Ended up being an expensive day for one of us!!! :oops:

Was gutted as I was hoping to show him the best bits of Swinley, but this happened just 7 miles into the day, I am now labelled as a Jinx, as another guy I took over there a few weeks ago on a brand spanking new Whyte wrecked a front wheel on the very same piece or track!

557126_3421278127282_1130058635_3306281_2111257630_n.jpg
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Something had to give, is usually the frame in these cases! Though I have seen frames so tough the fork steerer has bent backwards.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Thats what happens when you use a downtube mudguard :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Thats what happens when you use a downtube mudguard :lol:

Ha Ha, we had been having the SPD / Flat debate in the car on the way there. If only he had been able to get his feet from the pedals quickly enough, he wouldn't have rolled into the nettles and other painful stuff at the side of him afterwards with the bike still attached to one leg.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    That's a mere ding ;)

Here's one from someone who tried harder (note the claret on the tree)

untitled.png
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • JDRfive
    JDRfive Posts: 72
    Oocha. Nasty.

Makes my picture look rubbish :lol:
    A mate of mine did this trying to brake over a steep ridge.

33dgms3.jpg
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    which trail in Swinley was it OP?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    t0pc4t wrote:
    More importantly, which tree?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    Ouch.

Could you imagine what would have happened if that was carbon.

He would have just picked it up and carried on :lol:
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I hit a tree head on and cracked a rib. Bike was fine though so carried on and suffered later.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In the car world, wheels and suspension is always made weaker then the body, but I guess decent forks are worth more than the frame, so get the frame to go first!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t0pc4t wrote:

Corkscrew, the last bit where you have the high tight left turn and then you have a choice of dropping down the step or taking the slope on the right. I can only presume (as he was behind me) he went too quickly through the turn, couldnt go tight enough to drop down the step or go down the slope and just ran straight into the tree on the right of the step. First I heard was the ouch and then I turned round to look as I finished the section to see him rolling in the fern. :shock:
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Ouch! Hurting yourself and your wallet. Double whammy
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Yes, but is the tree ok?