Newbie to roading

Mikelancs
Mikelancs Posts: 99
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Ive been an avid mtber for many years up until around 2years ago when I had my first son and then the riding went to pot! I'm now looking at getting a road bike and doing a few evenings a week and then a longer ride on a Sunday perhaps as I really feel like I need to get back riding and get fitness and health back up.
I'm only slight at around 65kg and only 5ft 7" tall.
Can anyone recommend how to start with a roadie, I.e a couple of half hour rides first week and build up? Should I be using some SiS products of similar and what about recovery?.

Any help appreciated, ive already decided to go with a Cube Peloton Pro or Race, or even a Defy from Giant, I feel there's no need to buy a lower end bike then in a few months buying a better high end bike.

Thanks in advance

mike
2012 Giant TCR Composite 3

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Build up and do what you can

Ride food:If you can stomach food during,eat solids (there are plenty of threads on this if you use search) there are other sports specific options should need arise.

Recovery: Chocolate milk. much cheaper than branded products and it is also relatively easy to make your own too. (thread in this section on this)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I don't think you need any specific energy products for half hour rides, or even after. once you start riding for an hour or more, then a start taking things in.

I use cereal bars, start eating after 30-45 mins into a ride of a few hours. I usually take 2 bars and a caffeine gel on longer rides

hydration is usually more important, but again, not for half hour rides. I use just water for short rides (about an hour), zero electrolyte in a 750ml bidon for longer rides. electolytes and water/energy drink for day rides.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • 1964johnr
    1964johnr Posts: 179
    When I started road riding a few years ago this is how I started. It seemed to work quite well.

First, seven or eight rides of 30 mins, about 6-7 miles. Not pushing it to much and flat terrain.
    Then, seven or eight rides of 45 mins, about 10 miles. Maybe a couple of inclines included.
    Next, quite a lot of rides of 1 hor 15 mins to 1 hour 30 mins depending on how good I felt. 17-20 miles
    After that I was ready to take on some hills. When I pushed it beyond a couple of hours, all sorts of aches and pains began to set in and you do need to take on food.

Rides up to an hour and a half don't need much food intake. Liquids are more important, especially on warm days.
    Your feather weight is a good advantage. About the same as Contador.
  • andrewjoseph
    1964johnr wrote:
    Your feather weight is a good advantage. About the same as Contador.

you need some spanish steak then!

:twisted: sorry couldn't resist. :twisted:
    --
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    Thanks for the advice so far, I think id be looking at doing a few local sportives in the future as I'm an active member in organising some in and around Lancashire but would be nice to have a local buddy to ride with.
    I guess its a case of working your way up to the level were doing a 60k sportive would be like a walk in the park! then progressing from there!!.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • andrewjoseph
    if 60k sportive is a walk in the park, you won't be trying hard enough! ;-) You just ride faster and harder!
    --