Which jockey wheels?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
The jockey wheels on my 9sp XTR mech are starting to look like shark fins, so am looking at replacing them.

I've heard some of the best type to go for are wheels with ceramic bearings, although someone recently told me that they're great when they work but they need a lot of maintenance.

Other than ceramics, I was possibly looking at sealed bearing wheels.

Which ones would be the best?

Is there much difference between Shimano, KCNC & TACX brands?

Comments

• Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    If you buy ceramic bearings for your jockey wheels, you can officially be labelled a mug.

I've never found anything wrong with the standard ones. If you like shiny stuff, get the KCNC ones.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nothing wrong with buying a new set of Shimano jockeys. Tried some fancy ones once and never could quite get the chain to stop ticking. New set of XT jockeys and shhhhhh its o so quiet.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Agree with supersonic, Put them BBB ones of my girlfriends saphire and they have been brilliant for the money...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TACX are also very good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wasn't impressed by the cheap ones in the *expensive* X0 mechs. Replaced with KCNC. Not for the bling but for durability as getting fed up with replacing worn throwing star jockey wheels (maybe it's cheap sram stuff though).

Seem to be holding up and they run smooth. Also like the fact they are miles easier to clean as they are well vented such that mud just doesn't gunk them up. Gunked up jockeys are a right pain to clean and stop all the grit just continuing to make the thing run like crud.

Downside may be they'll wear the chain faster though. Will see.

Oh and replacement jockeys may not have the floating gizmo stuff the originals have. Supposedly they make things better for shifting, but then again the KCNC I got are seen as not an issue there, and sure enough shifting is fine.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have had no probs with BBB Rollerboys. The look a bit Poundland before you fit them but functionally they are fine.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`ve fitted 2 sets of BB rollerboys now and functionally they are no different to the original Shimano ones.
    No need to pay more really.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've found Mt Zoom Ultralite ones good in the pimp camp! Cheaper and lighter than KCNC and lasting very well.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Picked up a set of Tacx jockey wheels form Decathlon a while back for about 8 quid and they've been fine in an SLX mech. No noticeable performance difference over the originals.