NEW "BIG LAD" req,s help please.

twedspeed
twedspeed Posts: 130
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi I,m not a propper roadie - but I think this question belongs here rather than in MTB. I recently bought a bike for getting fit and commuting and I love it, but because I,m a BIG LAD , 17 st + I need some tyre advice.
I own a 2011 CANNONDALE BADBOY SLX HEADSHOCK but it has really skinny SCHWALBE Kojack ? tyres ! - I find it hard to stop without skidding and I,m sure theyre skittering outwards in tight cornering at speed. and its unsettling me a bit.
Can some one reccomend a larger wider tyre with better grip that will fit between this bikes stays and the headshock and also go on its CANNONDALE C2 rimms.

ALSO....In the past my size has seen a few catastrophic fails as wheels ahve collapsed I was thinking of having a D-Hill strength rear wheel built to stop this happening - if this is the case I will post on MTB for more advice - but in the meantime any help very much appreciated.
WHYTE LIGHTNING - CARBON S/L - NOMAD anyone see a patern emerging ????????

Comments

• fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Can't suggest any wheel tire combinations, but I can say I'm 18st and have no issues on my std rims on both my road bikes and my mtb. You must be going some at 17st to break your wheels, don't think you will need to go to downhill wheels, just don't got for light weight and keep the spoke count up rather than fewer spokes.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Wheel strength is a result of build quality rather than having very strong rims or beefy hubs. Your weight is high but not that enormous. Wheel failure on a road bike is usually a result of low tension causing spoke fatigue failure at the elbow. It's worth getting a pair of handbuilts from your friendly wheelbuilder.

As for tyres, you don't want wider tyres, you want stickier ones! Many on here (me included) will recommend Continental GP4000S. I don't know how wide your rims are though; the GP4000S only come in 23c I think.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I'm 6'7" and weigh 17 stone and have the above mentioned Continental GP4000S 23c whch are superb tyres. Are you runnign your tyre at the right pressure? I usually have 100psi up front and 110 at the back with no bulging or consequences.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • twedspeed
    Hi guys - thanks for the info "Altho I forgot to mention" I ride a LOT of urban areas and thers a LOT of bumping up kerbs.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You mean you ride on the pavement ??
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Hoo boy - you've opened yourself up for some flak with that one mate.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • twedspeed
    Cheers anyway will try the MTB,ers . :roll: