Is this a good Begginers bike?

Rg2k10
Rg2k10 Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_840925_langId_-1_categoryId_165499
The Carrera Centos Limited Edition Mountain Bike 2012.

I think it is a brand new bike for 2012 and it only came out very recently. The price came down from £599 to £329 which is a massive saving. Can someone tell me if the specs are good for this price range.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The saving you are getting is not really there, as the bike is not worth £600 - this is the price the Fury is, and has 10 speed groupset, hydraulic brakes and an air fork!

That said, at £300 or so is fair game, but you are worth paying a little more for the Vulcan:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... PDPz1#tab1

Has hydraulic brakes, better drivertain and what looks to be a superior version of that fork. Also a test winner.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    At the price, any new Trek or Spesh is going to have rubbish spec.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rg2k10
    Thanks for your replies.

I found another bike, which is cheaper. Apollo Phaze Mens Mountain Bike from halfords.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab1

Is this a good bike for the price? .
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Rg2k10 wrote:
    Thanks for your replies.

I found another bike, which is cheaper. Apollo Phaze Mens Mountain Bike from halfords.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab1

Is this a good bike for the price? .

It is definitely worth the extra for the vulcan, especially over the apollo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it's horrible at any price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    If you are just going to ask the same question of every bike with a chunk off the RRP this could take a while :D

Best bet is probably to let us know your preferred/max budget and what sort of riding you plan to do and you will get some decent recommendations.

At the price level you seem to be dabbling in:

There are a lot of BSOs (bike shaped objects) that many are offended that they are called bikes (ie they are pooh)

As supersonic said RRPs may be entirely fictitious. Old trick to get the customer to think they are getting a bargain - bottom line is would you pay the current price for it now if you didn't think it used to cost more.

At the bottom end of the market there is a lot of poor grade rubbish bolted on. Poor suspension (front or rear) is much much worse than none. If you are looking at bikes for less than 200 quid you probably don't want suspension. The minimum acceptable quality bouncy forks are in the £100 bracket (give or take) - if the bike costs £180 how much is the fork - £30?

I would suggest that around the £300 mark if you are careful you can find a decent entry MTB. Much below that and you are in BSO territory. Fine for trips to the shops - but I wouldn't take it off road....
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    As an aside - I'm guessing you know that that bike frames come in different sizes - not just the saddle going up and down? (Not being facetious - I didn't with my first bike)

Just that the first link you posted has different frame sizes available to the second...
  • Rg2k10
    edited April 2012
    I understand that a decent bike will cost more than £200

Just to make it clear...

I want a mountain or hybrid bike for under £250 preferably. I will mostly use it on pavement and light trials, so i don't really need an expensive mountain bike with suspensions. I just want a bike that is durable and quite decent to ride on ( not too heavy ) . I will use it most days just for fun around the streets... I don't really understand the specs of the bikes considering that i have never had a good bike before. Btw i am 15 years old and my frame size is probably 16"/17".

I think that the carrera vulcan is out of my budget im afraid :(

Has anyone got any ideas of any good bikes at this price (£250).
  • supersonic
    The Mongoose Tyax and Rockrider 5.2 as you listed elsewhere are the ones to go for.
  • Rg2k10
    Which bike is better mongoose or rockrider? spec wise. And are there any other bikes at this price range that i should consider?
  • supersonic
    The Mongoose, as it has a hydraulically damped fork. Not seen a better specced biek than this.
  • Rg2k10
    supersonic wrote:
    The Mongoose, as it has a hydraulically damped fork. Not seen a better specced biek than this.

How does this compare to Saracen TuffTrax 2012 Mountain Bike . http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sar ... e-ec035304.

Also, i think i have to rule out the rockrider unfortunately as there is no store which is mildly close to where i live.

Im really struggling to find reviews and opinions about the mongoose aswell :(
  • supersonic
    The Saracen compares poorly. Can be easily seen - lower, narrower range gears, shorter, undamped fork, freewheel, steel bar - have you read my beginners guide?
  • Poves
    Poves Posts: 23
    If you can squeeze a little more money together you will find you can get a lot more bike.
    Some of the Halfords Carrera range have been given very good reviews (but I am still not convinced)
    Their Apollo range is awful!

Have a look at www.paulscycles.co.uk - in their offers section. Some of these bikes are brilliant value for money.

(I am not connected with them in any way - but have been a customer of theirs)

Bear in mind that some parts can be upgraded over time - but if you start off with a crap frame you haven't got an upgrade platform.
  • Rg2k10
    Thanks for everyone with all the replies, much appreciated :D . I have decided to go with the mongoose tyax comp 2011. Since it has unbelievable spec for the price. Thank you supersonic for your help on choosing the right bike for me.
  • Rg2k10
    There is only a small size left. which is for people between 158 - 168 cm. I am 164, so that should fit me alright. I can always adjust the seat to get the perfect fit. :)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    FYI, different frame sizes are for different toptube lengths (amongst other things) which affect you reach and CoG etc, The seat post can be adjusted on any sized bike so it 'fits' if you understand what I mean. If you dont, just ignore me!