Recommend me a light mtb

u33db
u33db Posts: 68
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm starting a new job tomorrow which apparently does the cycle to work scheme.

I'm planning to cycle a few to work and after a mechanical incident this weekend (threaded bottom bracket) am considering replacing my Halfords Apollo.

I want something thats pretty lightweight (around 10kgs) but isn't a massive amount of money (sub 1k). Also it needs to be an mtb for the rare times i go off road but i don't want rear suspension...tbh i'm not even that fussed about front suspension if it saves weight/cost!

Can you recommend me a few choices?

I was looking at the Boardman Urban (similar weight, rigid fork) from Halfords but would like a few options in case the company isn't part of Halfords scheme.

Thanks in advance!

P.S i'd also be interested to hear peoples opinions on the cycle to work schemes - you get tax fee bikes but you are tied in for 12 months - is it worth it?

Comments

• Use the search facility on here and you will find the answers to all of your questions. When posting it is best to keep it to one question. It will also help if you provide the information needed to give you advice. i.e. where you plan to ride, how often and how hard. There is a whole world of difference between riding canal tow paths and jumpimg off mountains for example.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited April 2012
    Sub 10Kg and sub £1K is a task for an MTB, I doubt you'll find anything, what reatilers does the scheme give you access to?
    Boardman Urban MTB with it's Carbon rigid fork may get closest.....
    If you go to a flat barred hybrid you may have a chance.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    u33db wrote:
    I want something thats pretty lightweight (around 10kgs) but isn't a massive amount of money (sub 1k). Also it needs to be an mtb for the rare times i go off road but i don't want rear suspension...tbh i'm not even that fussed about front suspension if it saves weight/cost!?

If you're OK with drop bars, you've just described a cyclocross bike, especially if the times you go off-road are truly rare. Here's an example review from the last couple of days:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-revolution-cross-sport-12-46054
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    Hi,

I found out today that the scheme is only for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op so that Revolution could be an option.

I'll maybe pop in at the weekend and have a look at it in person - drop handle bars is now problem as i have a racer but having the regular brakes is a real bonus.

I still like the boardman though and it looks like it might be hard to beat weight wise.

Thanks again!