Hello from new hybrid bike owner

ian-d
ian-d Posts: 17
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hope I've found the right section, but just wanted to say hi as a new hybrid bike owner.

Not sure what the general opinion of hybrid bikes is, given they are neither a road/race bike nor mountain bike, but I bought one on the basis of getting fit and given that the roads around me are all fairly smooth country lanes, I thought it would suit the best.

Bought the Boardman Comp from Halfords (no choice) and after 3 attempts, got one in reasonable (new) condition, but boy it was a hassle (Halfords staff were helpful fortunately).

Went out on the bike just a few days ago for the first time and must say how much better it is for the roads than a mountain bike, I didn't expect such a difference. What is scary though is having to be more aware of pot holes, and also how sensitive steering is on thin tyres than chunky mountain bike tread.

It has been a long time since I've had a good exercise (due to one thing or another) but found a gentle 10 mile up and down very easy; and surprisingly my o/h who is in a similar fitness condition to me struggled to keep up with her mountain bike.

I'm hoping to get in to riding again and would like to be doing 15-20 miles at least a few times per week; possibly followed by a mountain bike purchase for the weekends at some point.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I can do to make my riding more enjoyable, I'd appreciate it. First step is getting a basic computer just for speed, distance etc...

Comments

• EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Hi Ian,

Congrats on the new bike. Yes it's a lot easier than a MTB on the roads. You should try a proper road bike though - much easier (faster) again! Try and vary your routes and just get plenty of time on the bike and you'll find it's about the most enjoyable and rewarding way there is to keep fit. Warning though - if you get hooked, it's very addictive and becomes expensive too!

Regards,

EarlyGo
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I am a Hybrid owner and use it to vary my rides. It can get a bit boring doing the same routes over and over on my road bike so I jump on some cycle paths on my Hybrid and spin away. I find it a nice change and I don't worry about speed at all, just enjoy being out on my bike.

I was looking at the Boardman Comp Hybrid in Halfords yesterday and it looks a very nice bike. I have the Boardman Comp roadbike which does look very similar, the colour scheme is identical.

The first thing I bought was a computer and it is excellent for monitoring your progress. However, I will say one thing negative about having one and that is sometimes it is difficult for me just to go out and enjoy a ride because I am constantly watching my speed and average speed, trying to beat my last ride.

Enjoy your bike.

(I bet it is not long before you start looking at road bikes :o )
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • ian-d
    ian-d Posts: 17
    haha, I hope I don't consider a road bike as I'm concious enough that hybrids don't allow me to go over speed bumps without slowing down etc, it is a massive change from having a mountain bike all my life.

Most of the roads around here are single track country lanes which on the whole are smooth, but some do have loose stone and dirt, so having a bike suitable of both was definately needed for me; I feel the loss of grip on these roads anyway so I doubt I'd ever stay upright on a road/race bike :D

Appreciate what you are saying about the computer, and with where I live, being able to look around at the same time is important, but I am the kind of person who needs motivation to get exercising, so having a computer to test myself against is worth while for that reason alone.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Glad you like the hybrid. A lot of roadies look down on them, but I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid which I find really good for commuting. My commute is 18 miles each way so I am only doing it twice a week, but I prefer it to my road bike for commuting in traffic as it has straight handlebars (good for vision) and I still use flat pedals on it, and I carry my change of clothes etc. in a rack pack.

Okay, I could be faster clipped in and more aerodynamic on my road bike, but I prefer to keep that for my leisure/weekend rides.

As regards computers, you may want to think of a Garmin GPS. I have a Garmin Edge 200 which I recently bought for about £100. Really good data that you can upload and view on the Garmin Connect site. However as a previos poster said, by using a computer you can't help contantly looking and trying to improve your average speed etc., but it's still good for motivation.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the hybrid.
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    oxoman wrote:
    Hi Ian. Don't worry about the roadies, a bikes a bike the only thing that really changes is the state of the ground it goes over. Although not much difference between my local A roads and Cannock chase in places. I currently commute 10 miles each way 3 times a week and 1 longer 30 plus trip at a weekend, normally around 2 hours ish before the kids get up. I looked at the Boardman but decided i preferred the Specialized Sirrus more, seemed to fit me better. Have done just over 1000 miles since October with no problems. As to roadies some like to show off and blast by you because their bikes are lighter, some will ride with you and offer advice if asked and just occasionally you will find one you can beat. Get the other half some narrower road tyres for her mountain bike and try doing your routes in reverse. Try advertising on here for cycling partners in your area, loads are joining and looking for people to cycle with.

+1
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    Hi glad your enjoying your CB Hybrid I had mine 4 years now great bike only broke 1 rear spoke and repkaced the BB in 7,300 miles in that time. If you clip in on your MTB get some SPD M520 MTB peddles for your CB Hybrid you will feel a much better power tranfer.

I puts drops and mudgaurds on my CB Hybrid now and used it as my winter hack. I can keep up with the road bike ok on it. You will be suprised at just how fast the CB hybrid is before I switched over to road biking in Oct 2011 I'd kept up with road bikes before and once overtook a guy on a TT bike! :lol:
  • cbriddon
    cbriddon Posts: 25
    Hi,

I bought a Boardman Hybrid Comp almost exactly a year ago and it's been fantastic. A broken spoke and a new cable is all that's gone wrong. A brilliant bike.

I've just ordered a Boardman Road Team so am looking forward to the change that brings.
  • If you're anything like me, you'll be itching to buy a road bike in no time.
    I have a Scott Sportster hybrid bike, and within 3 months of buying it, I tried a road bike and had to buy one lol
    Seriously though, hybrids are brilliant, especially if you fancy some light off roading.
    I got a computer from halfords for £8.99 at the weekend, 'Halfords Value' Oh dear, but it does the job, would love a Garmin 800 though!!!
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I really like the look of the Boardman hybrids, I'd like one myself one day as you know you can never have too many bikes :lol:

A cycle computer is a good idea, I have a Bontrager (trip 4 I think it's called) it's got all I need. Wireless, time, current, average and max speed plus odometer and trip counter. If you have an android phone or iPhone try downloading one of the many apps that there is for cycling. I use endomondo which is great on the phone but you get much more out of it if you log in on your computer when you get home as it logs personal bests for different distances etc.

Try not to get too hung up on that though or you'll find yourself maybe not enjoying your riding as much. I went through a phase like this so now I just have it running in my saddle bag or pocket and don't look at it till I get home.

The important thing is to enjoy what you do :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport