Headset press, alternate?

OCLV74
OCLV74 Posts: 53
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Need to press my shiny new Hope headset into my frame, have seen a few DIY tools using plumbing bits and a large screw bolt, also saw someone using a car jack and blocks of wood. My question is this, I noticed that my steel barbell has spin lock collars, if I make some plastic washers and use wood too, do people think this is possible? Or am I insane? The barbell actually fits the the head tube with about 2 mm play. My local bike shop want to charge me 30 squid to press the cups, and to buy my own Tool is just a rediculous price to use it maybe 3 or 4 times in my life. some of the DIY bits I have found:

http://www.weon.co.uk/2006/08/diy-headset-press/ the car jack method!!

http://www.bikecommuters.com/2007/09/29 ... ion-tools/ a very nice DIY press

(Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to external sites, so if not, sorry MODS)
It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.

Comments

• Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    I too was reluctant to shell out money for a proper press, or for an lbs to do it, but in trying to make my own press I only succeeded in wasting money on bits of hardware that never ended up working.

In the end I gave up and bought a Cyclus head set press for £30, it was well worth it and I wish I'd just bought the thing straight off!
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use a bit of wood and a hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    +1 for a piece of wood and a hammer!
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    I did mine with a large bolt, 2 washers and a nut but i already had them. The above tool is so cheap i'd get that
    Nicolai CC
  • OCLV74
    OCLV74 Posts: 53
    yep ordered the 8 quid option.. exactly what I was hoping my post would cause! Means I won't feel guilty ordering that nice torque wrench now.. If I could give man-love to Mojo, I would, even if he doesn't want to be pestered by an old fart.. cheers for all the imput, I shall upload the final build.
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I made my own press very similar to the one on ebay, the problem I had was getting it started, the cups just wouldn't go in straight for me, I had to resort to the lump of would method, once the cup was in I then used my press to seat it properly.

I found it easier to do one cup a a time as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    LBS want £30?????? It's a ten minute job, ours charge a tenner!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    waughie wrote:
    +1 for a piece of wood and a hammer!

+5

make that two bits of wood and a hammer, for me.