Kids' bike brake lever reach.

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I bought my 7yr old lad a Carrera Blast a couple of weeks ago, which seems a great little bike that wil last him a couple of years. The only issue he has with it is the brake lever reach - he can reach them, but with having small hands I don't think that he's that comfortable with them.

I've set the v-brakes for him, which are a good set of brakes, but has anyone got any ideas to help with the reach? It's a stupid question, I know, because the levers aren't adjustable, but he's now riding in the woods with me and starting to try new things all the time, so I'd like him to be as comfortable/confident as possible. Are there any kids' brake sets out there with adjustable levers?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• These are what you are after: I have something like these on my daughter's bike and they're great. I would also suggest adjusting the brakes so the front one has a lot more play/slack than the rear one: this means they will tend to pull the rear one on first and reduces the risk of endos.
    http://www.cyclerepairman.co.uk/Tecktro ... s/1078.htm
  • Johnny Napalm
    Thanks.

Do you alter the reach via the small allen head screw?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, screw it in and lever rests inwards. Nothing to the cable though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Russell160 wrote:
    These are what you are after: I have something like these on my daughter's bike and they're great. I would also suggest adjusting the brakes so the front one has a lot more play/slack than the rear one: this means they will tend to pull the rear one on first and reduces the risk of endos.
    IMO bad advice. I meet plenty of people who were taught as kids that using the front brake will send them over the bars.
    The front brake is the most effective one, and they need to learn properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    cooldad wrote:
    Russell160 wrote:
    These are what you are after: I have something like these on my daughter's bike and they're great. I would also suggest adjusting the brakes so the front one has a lot more play/slack than the rear one: this means they will tend to pull the rear one on first and reduces the risk of endos.
    IMO bad advice. I meet plenty of people who were taught as kids that using the front brake will send them over the bars.
    The front brake is the most effective one, and they need to learn properly.
    Must agree with this one. They need to learn to brake properly, and to modulate it.

Wow, there are many adults that still avoid using the front brake...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Russell160 wrote:
    and reduces the risk of endos.
    But after wheelies they're the bestest trick!
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ghostt wrote:
    Russell160 wrote:
    and reduces the risk of endos.
    But after wheelies they're the bestest trick!
    For kids, it's skids.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Johnny Napalm
    He's really taken to the bike, and he's got far more control over his braking, steering etc. than I have, so maybe I can get lessons from him. ;-)

Over the last couple of weeks I been showing him how important it is to brake properly, and not to panic. The brakes are good brakes, and have no problem in doing their job. He's got the feel of them and the bike now, so it's lots of happy days to come with his old dad on the trails. :-)
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super