which lock from these 2?

snig
snig Posts: 428
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
needed for shop visits and cafe stops,away from bike for 15 mins at most
was going for the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock but was thinking the weight migh be just too much at 2kg http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-new- ... ni-lock-1/

or this Kryptonite Evolution Mini Lock with Bracket not sure of the weight but thinking it should be less and it comes with the holder also half the price but not too bothered about that http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evol ... 217&sr=8-7

Comments

• Both are good locks, I have the kyrptonite evo 4 (not the mini one) bought after my MTB was pinched and the theif got away scotch free (suspended sentence).... :evil: As yet it's kept my bike safe.

If I was you I would be thinking:
    1. what is the value of my bike, is it insured.
    2. What sought of area am I chaining it up in
    3. What am I chaining it too?

If chaining to a flimsy railing then it's not going to make any difference which lock. If you live in Nottingham like I do, get the new york.

To be honest - imho - it's not going to matter too much which you used, they're both gold secure(I think) and both pretty beefy. If I was you and you live in an ok area I'd go for the evo', if you're only leaving it for 15 minutes. Spend the extra cash on something shiny 8)
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I've spent a fortune on locks recently and was told that one of the better locks for out and about (when you don't want a 6kg 19mm thick chain) was the Kryptonite New York 3000. Recommended by the guy from Almax who makes the best chains and shames others by destroying them like they're made of cheese.

It's not perfect but ok for locking up in public for a few mins. Make sure there is little space inside the lock (less than a tennis ball) as it stops people busting them open with a bottle jack.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I have the evolution, it's a solid lock and more than enough for your stated need.

I'd only stretch to the NY if I had to leave the bike unattended for longer and/or in a dodgy area.
  • snig
    cheers guys,just ordered the Kryptonite Evolution.
  • snig
    edited April 2012
    just bought the Kryptonite Evolution from Amazon,they seem to have two,one with the cable and one with the bracket,think they are the same lock? so doesn't the one that comes with the cable also come with the bracket,both are near enough the same price?

ordered this one,don't I get a bracket? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... 00_details

is this the same but with a bracket http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evol ... 530&sr=1-3

I'm confused,just read the info and it says it does come with the backet too,Amazon and Wiggle have what looks like the same lock,with or without the cable at the same price?
  • godders1
    It says "EZ-Mount bracket" under the product features so safe to assume it does.

I bought an evolution mini with a cable lock and it did come with a bracket.
  • snig
    Godders1 wrote:
    It says "EZ-Mount bracket" under the product features so safe to assume it does.

I bought an evolution mini with a cable lock and it did come with a bracket.

yeah just edited my post as I saw that but just got me wondering if they were the same locks,seems daft to offer the same lock,both with brackets but one with a cable too at the same price,the one without the cable doesn't say evo 7 but just evo.
  • snig
    think I understand now,the one with the cable is slightly bigger than the other one,both state they are mini but one is more mini than the other,cancelled order and going for the smaller one,shame I don't now get the cable tho!
  • godders1
    Yeah there's a mini 5 and mini 7 and a mini 9. Pretty confusing!
  • snig
    Godders1 wrote:
    Yeah there's a mini 5 and mini 7 and a mini 9. Pretty confusing!

oh right that explains it then,never seen the evo 5 on sale here,only ever seen the evo mini or evo 7 mini for sale and reading the details on the locks I thought the 7 was in reference to the "Flat key 7 disc high security, Pick-Safe disc-style cylinder" guess it's an easy mistake to make when buying a lock once in a while.
  • snig
    Got the lock today,just incase anyone else is looking to buy this one,I was worried it may be too small going by a lot of the reviews but on openning if anything I thought it looked bigger than expected,will fix round a solid post and frame no problem,I also guess the tools a thief would need to break this are the same needed to break a New York Fahgettaboutdit lock! so glad I got this one and not the one that weighs twice as much.