Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    I was expecting something like this:
    runner-diarrhea.jpg

You've got to think that cycling shorts would be better at keeping it in.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    FFS I was eating my dinner...no need for that
  • Cancellara. Much more likely to animate a race and therefore better viewing.

Don't quite understand the Boonen-love in this forum.
  • rick_chasey
    Cancellara. Much more likely to animate a race and therefore better viewing.

Don't quite understand the Boonen-love in this forum.

There wasn't untill a week ago ;).

It was very much a one man band.

bloody glory hunters
  • Yeah, had noticed that boonen is flavour of the month!

Can't blame people when he's even winning at 90 per cent, but I do find him a bit boring purely in racing terms.

Still, he's best on the cobbles in decades. Fair play.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Yeah, had noticed that boonen is flavour of the month!

Can't blame people when he's even winning at 90 per cent, but I do find him a bit boring purely in racing terms.

That's interesting. He's miles more exciting than Chinny I find. Chinny is very effective, and his solo rides are good but from a spectators perspective I think they're dull. Remember when he rode away in Paris-Roubaix. On a flat piece of tarmac road. And then you've got things like Boonen whittling it down on Taaienberg or something and there is just a lot more to enjoy.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

That's interesting. He's miles more exciting than Chinny I find. Chinny is very effective, and his solo rides are good but from a spectators perspective I think they're dull. Remember when he rode away in Paris-Roubaix. On a flat piece of tarmac road. And then you've got things like Boonen whittling it down on Taaienberg or something and there is just a lot more to enjoy.

I agree, Cancellara is an incredible athlete but when a race is decided 10 or 20k from the finish it's always going to be a disappointing spectacle. Yesterday's Ronde wasn't a classic edition in my opinion but at least we weren't certain who was going to win until about 10 metres before the line.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    He has a similar place in my heart as Toby Flood - I'm all about the clunge but If I was to turn...those two...phwoaaarrr

Tour+de+France+2009+Previews+Mv2gw4gtWIdl.jpg

_44328159_flood416.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72 wrote:

But Cancellara can get caught - it's not as if he always rides away from everyone. Far from it. And that's what makes P-R in 2010 so incredible. He rode away from a group of the best riders in the world and for the first 20-30km of his break he still could have been caught.

I don't think the most exciting bit of the race has to happen in the last few hundred metres - quite happy for it to happen earlier. And chases are pretty exciting in themselves - that chase down in the Volta a Catalunya when Uran held on to win was an extremely bright light in a pretty miserable tour.

Ok, saying Boonen is a bit boring is harsh - he does put in some good digs, but I think this was partly a function of him losing his speed which he now seems to have rediscovered.
  • rick_chasey
    Canc has a bigger impact on (flat) races than Boonen, for sure.

With that kind of engine, and the lack of a proper sprint, Canc ultimately is more aggressive, since he has to win solo.

Boonen is happy to shake a race up and make it selective, but he does it in a more tactical way, because he has more ways to win.

Then again, as exciting as a Boonen sprint can be, it's nothing compared to this
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I had not seen that video before. Bloody hell. He went from miles away!

Would love to know the power and speed he was going there!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rick_chasey
    okgo wrote:

Yeah. He's making a mockery of cycling physics there.
  • Yep, that was utterly glorious. But then HTC stamped stuff like that out the next year - shame.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    okgo wrote:

I love how he wasn't even in the drops. Machine.
  • rick_chasey
    Some classic modesty from cycling God Cancellara on twitter.

https://twitter.com/f_cancellara/status ... 2357655552

There are moments were even in training i stop for Fan's. He was asking for a wedding wish card to sign. #luckyguy

CkS-Z7ZWsAAoEp6.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    okgo wrote:

I love how he wasn't even in the drops. Machine.

Probably the moment where I started taking cycling seriously that...

and IMO, P&Ps last bit of good commentary
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    This season, he was 2nd in Het Niewsblad, and so far has won E3, G-W and the Ronde.

And Paris Roubaix. I wonder if anyone has changed their mind after Boonen's 53km solo win, just after most of this thread was posted? And also with his 2nd place ride at this year's race.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    I'll never change my mind, I'll always prefer Boonen :D
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Boonen for me as well. I think he may still have one more podium at Roubaix in him.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I missed the era of Boonen domination. he seems like a really likeable guy, and Chinny does not a lot of the time, but it's still Fabian all the way for me