Continental Ultra Race - no good for commuting

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
First puncture today on the above tires, with a very small piece of glass.

Am I better off getting something like the schwalbe zx's for commuting on the rear tire

thanks

Comments

• yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Ultremo is a race tyre. Get something like the Krylion, Durano, Gatorskin, or Marathon for commutes.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Or spesh armadillos. Zxs are better than r1s, DD are better in the ultremo range. Gatorskins are good too but have no sidewall protection like armadillos. Roll better though.
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    If you like Conti tyres, why not try the Continental 4 Seasons. I have found them to be the best for commuting and general year round riding.
  • I have got a pair of these and got a puncture 3 1/2 miles into my first ride. I have put slime tubes in (I KNOW) hich has kind of negated the use of the fast tyre, but I can't afford to pay out on new tyres again, they are not the cheapest!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    samsbike wrote:
    First puncture today on the above tires, with a very small piece of glass.

Am I better off getting something like the schwalbe zx's for commuting on the rear tire

thanks
    The clue might be in the name,but imo yes.
  • samsbike
    Thanks all. Got a max budget of £20, what shall I get. Puncture protection is key as half my commute is on a canal path
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Schwalbe Lugano or similar? Kevlar belt should be reasonably resistant
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    For a race tyre at the cheaper end of the market , they perform pretty damn well.
    Just done 60 hard race miles today and they rolled quick over expectation level.. not exactly a commuter tyre are they?.. but now you appreciate that.
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    Schwalbe Lugano or similar? Kevlar belt should be reasonably resistant

I had the Lugano on one of my bikes as standard. Not great, plenty of punctures. I switched to Gatorskins for commuting and around 800 miles so far with no punctures. I think you can pick up the wire bead versions for around £25 a tyre. They're a cow to get on mind.
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Conti Ultra race . . .

I tried them a few years ago, the ride was harsh as fook and the sidewall got a massive split in them. Poor tyres IMO.

Everyone will have their favourites but I ride Vredestein Fiammente all year round on my commuter / cross bike. They feel nice and last well too.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    mattv wrote:
    Or spesh armadillos. Zxs are better than r1s, DD are better in the ultremo range. Gatorskins are good too but have no sidewall protection like armadillos. Roll better though.

Continental also do Gator Hardshell which does have the sidewall protection and still roll very nicely. I have them and no issues as yet.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I have ultra sport on my bike. They are the wire bead ones that vame with my bike new. I've not had any problems with them until this last week or so when i have started to get lots of punctures, 3 on one small rode. Its seems to be very mall stones cutting into the tyre and working their way through. A couple of times i have finished my ride gone back to the bike later to find the tyre flat. I'm not very impressed and don't understand why all of sudden they are picking up these small stones and puncturing, both front and rear. I've decided i will replace them with something that has more puncture resistance.
  • samsbike
    Been investigating and have two choices

1. schwalbe blizzards around £20 a pair
    2. Vittoria Rubino Pro Tyre £40 a pair

any comments?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    samsbike wrote:
    Been investigating and have two choices

1. schwalbe blizzards around £20 a pair
    2. Vittoria Rubino Pro Tyre £40 a pair

any comments?

Fitted a pair of blizzards today,but haven't rode yet :p
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If puncture protection is near the top of your list then it might be worth considering some Schwalbe Marathon Kevlars next time around. Sure, they are a bit heavy (but not stupily so) and they don't roll zippy but they are good tyres and pretty much fit and forget, although nothing can really stop broken glass.

My wife runs the Kevlars every day on a bike lane/trail and hasn't had a problem in a couple of years. They are also good for family forest trails, etc., and look like there is another few years left in them. When she wants to do a nice ride out then I swap the Kevlars over to something lighter/slicker. Horses for courses, so to speak.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    I've had a pair on Conti Ultra Sport on during last year, only a couple of puntures in 2,500 miles or so, so very pleased with them.
    Currently have a new coloured tyre on which a mate of mine has produced and imported as part of his business. We've both ridden several hundred miles on them so far with no problems.

Have a pair of blizzards hanging in my shed. Only had them on for 2 weeks and had 5 punctures on the same route I've been riding for years with no problems.
    Just unlucky? Maybe, but I don't think I'll be putting them on again.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Fitted a pair of Blizzards two weeks ago. 200 miles, no punctures. Not sure that's a terribly reliable test. I don't think they're as grippy as the Contis they replaced but at a 1/3 of the price if they last 1/3 of the time I'll be pleased.
  • i got the bontrader all weather tyres, very good, roll is a bit heavy, but when you worn them down a bit they get a bit faster
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have used gators for a few years and over winter i used blizzards as a budget club run tyre on the recommendation of the LBS in house racer and i was impressed enough to buy a set for the commuter.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    GP4000S. Accept no substitute.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}