I just cannot wait!

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A teacher told me that a king size Mars bar contains the same amount of energy as a stick of dynamite, but the dynamite releases its energy instantly.

Don't know how this helps/hinders the argument.

Pretty sure if you split all the atoms in said mars bar it'd release a fair bit more energy than dynamite.

Yes, but... you'd have to bombard the Mars bar with neutrons, as they don't (or at least shouldn't) contain the heavy isotopes needed for radioactive decay (or spontaneous fission). Not only that, but you wouldn't get a chain reaction started.

You've clearly not thought your confectionary fission theory through :roll:

Just saying.

S'all about how you get hold of the energy, innit.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,841
    SimonAH wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A teacher told me that a king size Mars bar contains the same amount of energy as a stick of dynamite, but the dynamite releases its energy instantly.

Don't know how this helps/hinders the argument.

Pretty sure if you split all the atoms in said mars bar it'd release a fair bit more energy than dynamite.

Yes, but... you'd have to bombard the Mars bar with neutrons, as they don't (or at least shouldn't) contain the heavy isotopes needed for radioactive decay (or spontaneous fission). Not only that, but you wouldn't get a chain reaction started.

You've clearly not thought your confectionary fission theory through :roll:

What if you squished the mars bar up really hard to aim for fusion instead? Far more environmentally sound.

How's that Mercian coming along BTW - I keep hoping to see the 'work in progress' tag removed and photos up :D

Me too. If someone could stop spending my money on other things...

Hmm, a mars bar is going to be mostly carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. My rudimentary physics says that only the hydrogen is really useful for fusion... not sure how much hydrogen there is in a mars bar, but you don't need much.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    When this thread was started, I figured it would go off topic. I didn't think it would head towards "what contains the most energy, dynamite or a mars bar?"

Guys, seriously?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When this thread was started, I figured it would go off topic. I didn't think it would head towards "what contains the most energy, dynamite or a mars bar?"

Guys, seriously?

NEVER!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's not off topic though. It's followed a quite logical and distinct linear path of discussion with no awkward hops at all. Welcome to the BR Commuter Forums.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    At the other end of the energy life-cycle plants reportedly use quantum coherence during photosynthesis to enable the highly efficient capture of solar energy.

Like EKE_38BPM says, though, I'm not sure if this helps the discussion.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have 20 jerry cans of unleaded in my shed if anyone wants to buy some at £2 a litre.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I have 20 jerry cans of unleaded in my shed if anyone wants to buy some at £2 a litre.

Seriously? By jerry can do you mean the little 5 litre jobs or the 20 litre jerry cans? You do know it goes off, right?

Yeah, I know it almost certainly won't get to the point where your car won't run, but it does degrade.

Unless this is hilarious sarcasm, in which case, *hat.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    davis wrote:

Seriously? By jerry can do you mean the little 5 litre jobs or the 20 litre jerry cans? You do know it goes off, right?

Yeah, I know it almost certainly won't get to the point where your car won't run, but it does degrade.

Unless this is hilarious sarcasm, in which case, *hat.

He's a heavy sniffer.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    davis wrote:
    Is it better to keep it in the fridge?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    notsoblue wrote:
    davis wrote:
    Is it better to keep it in the fridge?

Nah. On the hob.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I can assure you davis, my petrol is out of direct sunlight and I have affixed No Smoking signs to the shed (inside and out).

If you want to buy some you have to collect it yourself though - caveat emptor and all that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,841
    I've tried looking up neutron bombardment of glucose (a best guess for the mars bar), but no joy.

The chemical formula for glucose is C₆H₁₂O₆, whereas petrol is erm, way more complicated as petrol is a mixture of hydrocarbons, but basically, it doesn't 'contain' any oxygen (e.g. C₃H₈ = propane). Not sure if that's any use as I'm more of a physics chap.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition