Returning new bike?

Boardmanboy
Boardmanboy Posts: 24
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hi, I've had a Boardman urban team mtb for 11 days, I noticed whilst riding today the left hand crank is very loose. I tightened the screw but it kept coming loose. Removing the screw and the crank reveals considerable damage (wear) and metal particles obviously off the Alu crank, the splined shaft of the bb appears ok. I presume Halfords had not tightened it sufficiently, as some other screws I have noticed and tightened myself.
Question is, should I ask for a replacement bike seen as its only 11 days old or allow them to repair it, if they replace the crank arm could there be more permanent damage I can't see that could come
back to haunt me?
Anybody know what I can expect/ demand of them? I'll be going on about an hour.
Cheers

Comments

• MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    My suggestion is to ask because if you can get a refund, great as that is a big problem. If they say no, well you are no worse off. This would have only occured in something like a serious crash, bad material or a cross-thread when installing it.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • I haven't crashed it. Just riding on pavements and cycleways. Surely if the crank wasn't properly tight it could have worked loose then the force of pedalling has done the damage?
  • Oops, i didnt say that the bike was brand new 11 days ago.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why would you expect a new bike if it's just a damaged crank?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Any new bike you should check the tightness of all fixings for the first few days and then after every ride.

If the crank arm is chewed up, rather than wait for them to change the hole bottom bracket and cranks ask them to just put another arm on and you can be back out the shop within 5 mins. :lol:
  • If a new arm will sort it then I'm happy. I dont want to be without the bike but I also dont want the problem to happen again. I'll see what they say.
  • cooldad
    Chance that the BB is fubared as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    cooldad wrote:
    Chance that the BB is fubared as well.

Boardmans have had problems with the bottom brackets so probably will need replacing .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are entitled to a repair or replacement, assuming it is not yoru fault. But do check the bolts regularly.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    How long since it was purchased? If 11 days reject the bike and get a refund. You can then choose to buy it again if you want and reset the clock.
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    NOt heard good things about Boardmans or Halfrauds.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I'd have them upgrade the bb and crank, then check it yourself using the parktools website. BB's are not complex.
  • They said it will be fine and just tightened it up.
  • xmadxmoex
    xmadxmoex Posts: 135
    I wouldnt accept that.. demand they replace it at a minimum, if they say no speak to head office.. most times youll get a decent response with
  • cooldad
    chazkayak wrote:
    NOt heard good things about Boardmans or Halfrauds.

Bikes are excellent, Halfords (note the spelling) are hit and miss, like most big chains.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Basic rights anyway, they fix it, they replace it or you get a refund. Don't accept anything else.

*If* it's definitely their fault or a faulty bike.

Whatever the case if you take a bike from them, despite what they should be doing, check everything is done up right (and on the right way round!). If not yourself, by a *reputable* LBS.

Halfords aren't entirely terrible though. There are some people working there who do know what they're doing. You just need to find them and don't go on a weekend. Have to say I got the old GT from them and was great, and a cracking good deal. Think really because they had no idea what to do with it and it was supplied pre-assembled and not touched by the kids working there.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm not sure they are such great value when you take account of their low resale values. I got my team carbon which was only a few months old and had been used only a couple of times for the sort of money two year old spesh's in alu would go for
  • Its been fine since they tightened it - had plenty of stick since then aswell:)
  • it will fail again, once it's ridden loose then splines are fooked and it will come loose you need to get a new crank arm
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!