Having trouble finding a bike.

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys I'm new to road biking and I've been wanting to get an entry level road bike for around £400 max. After having a look around, I knew I would have to spend ATLEAST £500 for my size. I am 163cm tall so finding a bike under 53cm is proving to be tough. I'm hoping a 52cm will fit me. I tried a 53cm Boardman and I was slightly on my toes.
But basically I need help finding a bike within my prize range, which bikes to avoid ect ect.
Thanks.

Comments

• mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    How about a Giant Defy 4 (I think, may have been a 5) in XS. It was only just too small for my 11 year old son (around 155cm). He ended up with a Giant Avail 4 in XS (ladies bike but does not look it) because the reach to the bars and brakes was smaller. There should be loads that fit you, get down to a good bike shop they should be able to advise you.
  • size small Carrera TDF..........it will get you started and leave you a few quid for some pedals, lycra and shoes.
  • GSJ
    I've been thinking about a Carrera, maybe a Virtouso and with student discount I think I'll get it for around £315.
    I think a medium Carrera may be sufficient as their medium is 51.5cm.
    What type of pedals would you suggest? clipless? and if I go with clipless can I get any type of shoe or are there specific shoes for different clipless pedals.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    size small Carrera TDF..........it will get you started and leave you a few quid for some pedals, lycra and shoes.

You appear to be almost the same size as me and I have a medium TDF. Got mine for £260 last year - a steal at that price.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • GSJ
    Ordered a Carrera Virtuoso LTD, which I think will do me well as first road bike (lets see how long it lasts)
    Is there any things I should change on there which are shabby? such as tires. I will change the pedals, but need to do more research on some clipless pedals and such.