Chainring(s): FSA DH, 34t
Cassette: SLX 11-34t
Pedals: Outland CNC Slimline

Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: XLC Pro Remote

Wheels: Superstar Switch on Stan's Flow
Tire: Stick-E Nevegal front and Minion DH-R rear

Weight: about 30.2lbs

Made up of left-over bits from upgrades to my full-sus, and borrowed the wheels right now. Trying to decide whether to get another set with Flows, or to splash out a bit and go for some Mavic Crossmax STs. The grips are going too as I just can't use anything but ESI anymore. Got some bright pink ESI Chunkys on the way :shock: There'll likely be a fork upgrade in the distant future too, mainly to get the weight down a bit.

It's huge fun to ride. I specifically went a size smaller than usual, and have left the wheelbase on its shortest setting so far. It's still comfortable for a few hours in the saddle, but feels super playful. I'd almost say I'm tempted to sell my full-sus, but I think that might just be the 'new-bike feeling' talking. It's certainly harder work being out on this for a couple of hours, than on my Heckler.

Comments

• specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Great looking bike! Weight isn't too bad considering the frame is quite heavy, 6.6 lbs isn't it?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    With the seatpost-qr I weighed the frame at 2.74kg, which I think is just over 6lbs. Ideally I'd like to get it to about 28lbs, finances allowing (which it doesn't look like they will for a while).

Oddly, I chose the yellow because I thought it would look kind of horrible. It's a long, and quite boring, story. Unfortunately I think it looks pretty nice all finished :lol:
  • warpcow
    7038399059_afd8baffb0.jpg
    Untitled by warpcow, on Flickr

Arrived just before I left for work. The pic doesn't do the colour justice; it's much more 'day-glo' in real life.
  • warpcow
    So, a few months on and a few changed parts. Got a nice package in the post this morning:
    7656586570_803409f2a2.jpg
    P1020868 by warpcow, on Flickr

The XLC post was great when it worked, but it came to a point where I was having to strip it after every ride and I just couldn't be bothered anymore. They're easy enough to work with apart from the damper cartridge being comletely sealed, and I think that's where my issues ultimately stemmed from.

So the bike now looks like this:
    7656584206_4e748a6c02.jpg
    P1020872 by warpcow, on Flickr

Other changes include the Exotic pedals, a shorter stem (50mm down from 60mm) and new tyres in the shape of Schwalbe Wicked Wills. Really enjoying having a hardtail again, after selling my Inbred and only having a Heckler to drag around. Still haven't changed the wheelbase since it feels perfect as it is: just wants to pop off everything, yet handles quick enough to nip through the rocky trails we have around here. A new fork is still somewhere on the horizon. As much as I love the old Pike, it's just a bit long in the tooth now and pretty heavy.

The tyres are excellent btw. These are the 2.35" Evo, trailstar, snakeskin, blah, blah, blah versions. You never seem to see them recommended anywhere, but they're fast becoming my favourite tyre ever: big volume fast-rolling, excellent grip in almost all conditions, strong sidewalls, easy to set up tubeless, the list goes on.
  • How are you finding the ESI's? Ive been using mine for a month or two now i think and i love them.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    They are great bikes but then I am biased. Maybe not the best climbers but it puts a grin on your face every time you ride it.
  • warpcow
    How are you finding the ESI's? Ive been using mine for a month or two now i think and i love them.

Love them! This is the second bike I've put them on. They're lasting a loit better than I expected too. Previous foam grips I've had have split after a couple of months, but my first set is about 9months old now and only shows a bit of damge where they've hit trees.

CraigXXL - seeing yours was probably what pushed me to buy this when CRC had them on sale. I was seconds away from ordering a BFe instead.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Glad I inspired you to get the Sovereign and hope you enjoy it as much as I do
  • warpcow
    Getting nearer my weight goal of 28lbs or less. As of yesterday it's at 28.6lbs.

8345767082_b259dd22ec.jpg
    P1030126 by warpcow, on Flickr

Changes are the wheels, Zee mech and chainguide, and fork. The wheels are Arch EX built onto Hope Pro2s with Sapim D-Light spokes. Fork is a Sektor R SoloAir with a MoCo comp. unit that I had lying around dropped into it. Chainguide is just a 2nd-hand MRP 1X so I could see if it's enough with the Shadow+ mech and a topguide, which it seems to be.

I might drop the Sektor down to 140mm, but haven't really had a chance to ride it in anger since it was fitted. Possibly getting a Dual-Flow rebound unit into it too.

Ran the chainstays at full length for a couple of weeks last year and hated it. Sure, it felt like a tank downhill and climbed more steadily, but it lost all the 'pop' that makes the Sovereign so fun. It didn't make it any faster, just more boring.