Rutland CiCLE

AllezGaz
AllezGaz Posts: 93
Hi all

looking at doing my first Sportive this year (ony been riding a few months) and fancy the above. Only looking at the 54mile course but just wondered what to expect from the course....any superhuge climbs or any poor bits of road etc.

Cheers Guys.

Gaz

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    It's one of flattest parts of the country, I doubt you'll find an Alpe d'Huez in the middle...
    Last year I did a sportive around there and never dropped down from the 53 chainring
    left the forum March 2023
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    It's a really nice course - first third pretty easy with only a couple of little climbs but from the feed stop at Owston down to the A47 it's like riding over a crumpled egg-box with short steep ups and downs. Drag up away from the A47, nice and flat from Hallaton to Medbourne, sharp dig up to Nevill Holt Hall, lovely descent down to Eyebrook Reservoir and equally nice drag back up away from it towards Uppingham. The last bit from the A47 back to Oakham is the sting in the tail - monster descent down from Ridlington (75kph is my current best!) but then it's egg-box ups and downs again.

Certainly no mountains to climb but you'll know Leicestershire has its own unique challenges and some lovely roads to ride on - only one dodgy bit of surface from memory: you descend from Launde Abbey down to Loddington, climb sharply away towards Belton-in-Rutland then the descent after that climb is a bit dodgy with quite a few ruts and little holes.
  • pollys_bott
    It's one of flattest parts of the country, I doubt you'll find an Alpe d'Huez in the middle...
    Last year I did a sportive around there and never dropped down from the 53 chainring

:lol::lol::lol:

All depends on the route doesn't it? I can do a ride around the north or west of the county in the big ring but this ride goes over the lumpier bits and I'd like to see you try and climb out of Launde in a 53... :wink::lol:
  • AllezGaz
    Cheers peeps, doesnt sound too dissimilar to Lincs......looking forward to it :D
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    It's a really nice course - first third pretty easy with only a couple of little climbs but from the feed stop at Owston down to the A47 it's like riding over a crumpled egg-box with short steep ups and downs. Drag up away from the A47, nice and flat from Hallaton to Medbourne, sharp dig up to Nevill Holt Hall, lovely descent down to Eyebrook Reservoir and equally nice drag back up away from it towards Uppingham. The last bit from the A47 back to Oakham is the sting in the tail - monster descent down from Ridlington (75kph is my current best!) but then it's egg-box ups and downs again.

Certainly no mountains to climb but you'll know Leicestershire has its own unique challenges and some lovely roads to ride on - only one dodgy bit of surface from memory: you descend from Launde Abbey down to Loddington, climb sharply away towards Belton-in-Rutland then the descent after that climb is a bit dodgy with quite a few ruts and little holes.

Hi Folks

Ta much for the heads up on the course.

Have registered for the shorter route but am not too familiar with the terrain although I don't live too far away in the Loughborough area. Was planning to do a recce by car (OK it's a wimp thing) but with the current fuel madness I'm probably best not wasting what I've got.

Did my first 100k sportive last year (ITP Leicestershire Super Tour) and that was pretty lumpy in the middle section around Woodhouse Eaves - Poly Botts Lane seems to stick in my mind somehow.

Looking forward to the Rutland CiCLE and am also registered for the Lincoln Grand Prix and this year's Leicestershire Super Tour - both on the 50 -60 miles routes. Working myself up to a 100 miler at some point hopefully.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271

:lol::lol::lol:

All depends on the route doesn't it? I can do a ride around the north or west of the county in the big ring but this ride goes over the lumpier bits and I'd like to see you try and climb out of Launde in a 53... :wink::lol:

Unless is a 1 in 4 with a 53x24 you go pretty much anywhere
    left the forum March 2023
  • Liam 2010
    Liam 2010 Posts: 101
    I've not rode that particular sportive, but I do a lot of riding around Oakham and Rutland Water, and there are a few good hills out in and near Rutland. Launde Abbey is a prime example, pretty steep....30% at it's worst...but only for a few metres. The majortity being about 15/16%, but it'll definitely test the legs...and the lungs.

I doubt they would include such a climb on the 54 mile route to be honest. I would say go for it, try it out and see how you get on. I think the terrain will be rolling for the most part.
  • pollys_bott
    Liam 2010 wrote:
    I've not rode that particular sportive, but I do a lot of riding around Oakham and Rutland Water, and there are a few good hills out in and near Rutland. Launde Abbey is a prime example, pretty steep....30% at it's worst...but only for a few metres. The majortity being about 15/16%, but it'll definitely test the legs...and the lungs.

I doubt they would include such a climb on the 54 mile route to be honest. I would say go for it, try it out and see how you get on. I think the terrain will be rolling for the most part.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=sffdfspmkepemmii

Launde Abbey is on both routes - the 100 mile ride also takes in the Vale of Belvoir and takes you up Terrace Hill and Harby Hill... nice!

Ugo - if you can get up anything <25% in a 53x24 then chapeau sir, for you are clearly light years ahead of me in cycling ability :)
  • Liam 2010
    The only thing I can say to intice you up launde abbey is that it has a pretty good descent the otherside. :)
  • Liam 2010
    I've not done terrace hill, is it difficult to find? I might venture out towards Belvoir this weekend.
  • pollys_bott
    Liam 2010 wrote:
    I've not done terrace hill, is it difficult to find? I might venture out towards Belvoir this weekend.

No - Google maps, just look for Wood Lane coming south out of Barkestone-le-vale. Other than the road up to Belvoir Castle from Redmile pretty much any road out of the Vale back up to the top of the ridge will be a stiff little climb.
  • Just to let you know entries for the Rutland CiCLE Tour close at 23:59 on Wednesday 25th of April for this event.

http://www.itpevents.co.uk/events/the-discover-rutland-cicle-tour.html

Ian
  • It's one of flattest parts of the country, I doubt you'll find an Alpe d'Huez in the middle...

And then you woke up
  • MrIP
    MrIP Posts: 91
    Exactly !
  • Last day for entries, they close at 23:59. The rain will have blown over by Saturday!

http://www.itpevents.co.uk/events/the-discover-rutland-cicle-tour.html
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    I'm looking forward to the 100 miler this weekend, though last weekend on a non-bking trip to Palma was not the best training. There is a lot of tosh being talked about this part of the country and required gearings above. Though the first part of the route to the Belvoir Valley is pretty flat there are a couple of early ups and downs. As the route swings southward into Leicstershire/Rutland you criss cross the Rutland Wold. There are a couple of steep short climbs as above, Launde (18%) and Neville Holt. Towards the end of the 100 miler you also finish on what is locally known as the "Big Dipper", a series of sharp undulations. The trainng effect hear is short sharp regular climbs, like hill repeats.

Now, I agree it is not Alpe D'Huez, but my group trained on this terrain for last year's Acte II Etape, and were some of the few finishers,and climbed the Alpe, Croix de Fer and Galibier a few days later. This year we are doing both Etapes, and other than a couple of days in the Peak District, and a sportive every month, all our training will be based in this lumpy, not flat, terrain that is east Leicestershire and Rutland.

Good luck to all participants on what is a fun and challenging course.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    I've signed up for this and would like to know if the route is hard on wheels? I was going to put my best wheels on but reading the comments above I'm tempted to leave my training wheels on.

Thanks
  • MrIP
    Its not that bad, I've done it for the last 3 years on Durace C24 with Swalbe R1's without problem. The only thing I would say this year is a few of the smaller lanes might be a bit dirty due to the rain..
    Regrds

Mrip
  • Eskimo427
    MrIP wrote:
    The only thing I would say this year is a few of the smaller lanes might be a bit dirty due to the rain..

Thanks for the reply.

Being a mountain biker I can live with a bit of dirt.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Brrrr its looking cold and windy tomorrow.

Might use winter bike as there is likely to be plenty of muck and puddles. Also winter tyres will hopefully give me more traction over those pesky cattle grids.
  • Eskimo427
    Brrrr its looking cold and windy tomorrow.

Might use winter bike as there is likely to be plenty of muck and puddles. Also winter tyres will hopefully give me more traction over those pesky cattle grids.

CATTLE GRIDS!! You're joking!! Should have brought my mountain bike!

I'm now very confused over which wheels to use.
  • MrIP
    Don't panic I think on the 50 mile ride there is only one in Launde just at the top of the hill

Mrip
  • oneof1982
    I just recieved following e-mail from Ian the organiser, which I assume everyone should have:

"Please come prepared with extra inner tubes and consider switching to a heavier, more puncture resistant type of tyre for tomorrow's Rutland CiCLE Tour.

Having driven the entire course this morning to put the signs out, there is a lot of standing water and run off from fields, plus quite a bit of grit and dirt in the road. I expect this will put the mechanics under pressure tomorrow on punctures so please come as prepared as you can to fix your own punctures to avoid having to wait for the mechanic in possibly wet and cold conditions.

If you struggle with puncture repair someone will always stop to give a hand if you look sad enough.

The weather forecast is not quite so bad for tomorrow as today, but the roads will still be filthy. Showers and changing are available. Even if it does not rain tomorrow,you will be filthy when you get back."

As I've said above we ride these routes each week The roads themselves are in pretty good condition (certainly compared to some, ie recent Cheshire Cat experience) Defintely a two inner tube strategy, and make sure tyres are pumped up.

As for Ian's comment that if you look sad, "someone will stop and give you a hand" - well my mate, just behind me is brilliant at punctures........ :lol:
  • AllezGaz
    Well completed the short circuit today and OMG I definitely need to do more climbing!! Wasn't prepared for that lol!! Living in Lincs we aren't really blessed with too many hills but I'm sure gonna make a point of doing more hill climbing. I'm cream crackered! :lol: May try the Lincoln GP in a couple of weeks and walk up the cobbles at the end :roll:
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    AllezGaz wrote:
    Well completed the short circuit today and OMG I definitely need to do more climbing!! Wasn't prepared for that lol!! Living in Lincs we aren't really blessed with too many hills but I'm sure gonna make a point of doing more hill climbing. I'm cream crackered! :lol: May try the Lincoln GP in a couple of weeks and walk up the cobbles at the end :roll:

Hi Allezgaz

Like you I did the short route today and like you I'm afraid my hill climb training around my local area proved to be woefully inadequate. The strong headwind on parts of the course and the rain (which forecasters said would not arrive til evening) didn't help matters.

I was prepared for the pain of Launde Abbey and Neville Holt from previous posts on here but there were other real testers on the route - I'm thinking of the drag up from Allexton and also the "never ending hill"- or so it seemed - when you were heading from Stockerston away from the Eyebrook Reservoir up towards Uppingham.

But nobody warned me enough about the definite sting in the tail - the section away from Uppingham via Ridlington and Brooke ( I think somebody called it The Big Dipper). With nearly 50 miles in my old legs (68 next birthday) that was really a sadistic final turn of the screw.

Anyone who says that Leicestershire and Rutland are flat should try a route like today's

Thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the weather and am signed up for the Lincoln Grand Prix next month - just hope it's not as hilly!!
  • oneof1982
    Anyone still think that this is still "one of the flatest parts of the country"? Add in torrential rain and 30mph NE winds..... Well done to all finishers and triers. 8)
  • AllezGaz
    arlowood wrote:
    AllezGaz wrote:

Hi Allezgaz

Like you I did the short route today and like you I'm afraid my hill climb training around my local area proved to be woefully inadequate. The strong headwind on parts of the course and the rain (which forecasters said would not arrive til evening) didn't help matters.

I was prepared for the pain of Launde Abbey and Neville Holt from previous posts on here but there were other real testers on the route - I'm thinking of the drag up from Allexton and also the "never ending hill"- or so it seemed - when you were heading from Stockerston away from the Eyebrook Reservoir up towards Uppingham.

But nobody warned me enough about the definite sting in the tail - the section away from Uppingham via Ridlington and Brooke ( I think somebody called it The Big Dipper). With nearly 50 miles in my old legs (68 next birthday) that was really a sadistic final turn of the screw.

Anyone who says that Leicestershire and Rutland are flat should try a route like today's

Thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the weather and am signed up for the Lincoln Grand Prix next month - just hope it's not as hilly!!

Total respect for completing it!!!

I'm 47, been cycling 6 months, but really hope I have your level of fitness in 20years :D

Haven't booked Lincoln yet, weather watching!!!. Reckon I may have to walk up the cobbled section at the end, although that's a task in itself :lol:
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    The weather was pretty shocking, even for round here.

Thought about giving up more or less all the way round and broke my Garmin mount and right shoe plate (which meant my foot kept coming out on the climbs). But I got round even if the back end of the event was just about finishing rather than trying to get any speed up.
  • MrIP
    Despite the rubbish weather is was a good day and everybody I saw seemed to have a good time. As always it was very well organised and well signed.

Not everybody used their winter bikes ! I road through Launde with a guy on a Parlee with Lightweight wheels. I looked like I had been mountain biking by the end !

Thanks to Ian and all his helpers for a good event.

See you again next year.

Mrip