Road clipless - SPD-SL or Look?

Kerguelen
Kerguelen Posts: 248
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I'm considering moving from SPDs (the offroad ones) to either the SPD-SL or Look systems. For SPD-SL I'd probably get the 105s, or if I went for Look I'd be getting the Keo Classics.

New shoes will be needed as well - do they both use the same cleat drilling?

Is there any practical difference between the 2 systems? Or is it just a matter of what works best clipping in & out?

Thanks

Comments

• You get more float with Look red cleats than Shimano - 9 degrees. Which suits me. Shimano are easier to walk in. I prefer Look blades to Shimano spd-sl...and I've had some expensive experiments to find that out.

If you go for Look - avoid the cleats with the rubber anti slip pads on - they're a pain as they squeak when engaged in the pedal and wear quickly. Get standard ('slippy'!) ones and use the covers (supplied) when you're walking about - best compromise.
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    I've been using SPD=SL for years and recently moved to Keo2max with red cleats for the float which I prefer, but the Look cleats aren't nice to walk in I nearly broke my neck in my tiled hallway! Plus the Looks have a tiny bit of play in the bearings after just 6 weeks, though i don't know if this is normal due to the needle bearings.

Go for Shimano if weight and the extra float isn't an issue.
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    I personally prefer Look, probably because that was the system I had first, but both systems are good and I don't notice any performance or comfort differences between either Look or Shimano.

The 105's and Keo Classics are on the same level in terms of quality and performance, so choose whichever your gut tells you that you prefer and enjoy your choice, you won't go wrong either way.
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Personally I prefer Look, because of extra float. But, they can be lethal to walk in, I've slipped on polished surfaces a few times. If you plan to walk in them go for Shimano, if not go for Look.
    Ridley Orion
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Ta very much for the advice, I'm off down the LBS for some Looks!