Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Going 1x9.

chopchopchopchop Posts: 158
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I want to go single ring up front as I'm getting sick of losing the chain on descents. I currently have a SLX double crank and I am looking at buying the superstar plasma chain device. Will the cranks have to be modified to fit the plasma? Will the granny tabs foul the device?

The bike is a 2011 Remedy with ISCG old mounts, 73mm BB.

Posts

  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    I have done the same. Granny ring tabs are fine as they are. I found that changing to a proper single chain ring made transmission smoother & chains & the ring seem to last forever.
    I use one of these with 34 teeth http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... Chainrings
  • angry_birdangry_bird Posts: 3,782
    You shouldn't have any issues with compatibility. Are you planning on using it with a bash or without?
  • chopchopchopchop Posts: 158
    Cheers guys. RSC- I was thinking going either 34 or 32 as the 36 can get a bit difficult on the climbs if I've been riding a couple of days on the trot. Cheers for the link, I will invest in a decent ring when I've figured out which size will suit best.

    AB- I'm thinking of using a bash, probably a BBG as I've been using one on a couple of bikes and it's done the job well.
  • Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What do you use at the back? 36-36 makes agood one ring setup.
  • angry_birdangry_bird Posts: 3,782
    chopchop wrote:
    AB- I'm thinking of using a bash, probably a BBG as I've been using one on a couple of bikes and it's done the job well.

    I found that the bashguard version still dropped the chain, not massively often but still enough for it to really piss me off, consequently I've recently ended up swapping to the full guide, just something to bear in mind.
  • maddog 2maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Another option is to run the SS XCR guide, without a bash. Not as secure as the pplasma admittedly but lighter+cheaper and I've not lost a chain once on mine.

    SLX cranks plus a dedicated 32/34 ring plus SS device = sorted.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • oodboooodboo Posts: 2,177
    I fitted an E13 LG1+ to my enduro with a XT triple chainset. I had to cut the granny tabs off the chainset to get it to fit.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

    Strava
  • YeehaaMcgeeYeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    chopchop wrote:
    I want to go single ring up front as I'm getting sick of losing the chain on descents. I currently have a SLX double crank and I am looking at buying the superstar plasma chain device. Will the cranks have to be modified to fit the plasma? Will the granny tabs foul the device?

    The bike is a 2011 Remedy with ISCG old mounts, 73mm BB.
    You could keep both rings, and get a blackspire stinger, cheap, and works a treat.
  • chopchopchopchop Posts: 158
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I found that the bashguard version still dropped the chain, not massively often but still enough for it to really wee-wee me off, consequently I've recently ended up swapping to the full guide, just something to bear in mind.

    Thats good to know cheers. Losing the chain after going through the hassle and expense of fitting a device would really pee me off as well!
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Another option is to run the SS XCR guide, without a bash. Not as secure as the pplasma admittedly but lighter+cheaper and I've not lost a chain once on mine.

    SLX cranks plus a dedicated 32/34 ring plus SS device = sorted.

    I did consider it but I would like to get rid of the rattly chain noise as well, the XCR doesn't add any tension to the chain so I suppose it would still be noisy?
    oodboo wrote:
    I fitted an E13 LG1+ to my enduro with a XT triple chainset. I had to cut the granny tabs off the chainset to get it to fit.

    Funnily enough, I had agreed to buy a used LG1 on another site last night but the seller ended up selling to somebody else even though I had said I wanted it! Looks like he did me a favour if cutting is required to use it!
    You could keep both rings, and get a blackspire stinger, cheap, and works a treat.

    I run a stinger on my Heckler and it does indeed work a treat! On the Trek though, I don't need the granny as much and wouldn't mind shedding a bit of weight via the shifter and mech, neaten up the bars a bit as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.