How often do you clean your gloves

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
In keeping with all of the other cleaning threads, how often do you clean your gloves?

My fingerless mitts smell OK when they are fresh out of the wash, but after even a half hour pootle, THEY STINK and they make my hands stink.

They get washed about 2-3 times a month but the smell won't completely go away. I've heard vinegar in the wash kills the stinky bacteria, but I haven't tried it yet.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    When they become whiffy (which isn't too often), or when I've done enough fettling that I need to really need to get the oil out.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Usually put them through the wash once a week. If I've been out for along ride during the weekend then they go straight in. As you have already observed, they get really stinky really quick. I'm considering getting a second pair so I always have fresh ones ready.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've got two pairs! They both stink.

• EKE_38BPM
    I just went for a brief pootle and my mitts and hands stink again. My mitts are now soaking in a mixture of biological washing powder and vinegar. Let's see if that kills the stinky (literally) bacteria.

I'm also much colder than I thought I'd be. I guess I dressed for a hard ride, not a pootle, so didn't generate enough heat.

• No comment.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Boil them.

It's the only way to be sure.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE this is a completely girlie question... (well, being a girl and all...) but what temperatue are you washing at? To get rid of pongs you need to be at 40 minimum. 30 is enough to remove dirt but won't get rid of all the smell...

I tend to wash mine when they need it (every few weeks or so I guess).
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Never have.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE this is a completely girlie question... (well, being a girl and all...) but what temperatue are you washing at? To get rid of pongs you need to be at 40 minimum. 30 is enough to remove dirt but won't get rid of all the smell...

I have no idea, I have someone to do it for me.
    They were just soaked in water hot enough to make tea with though. If this works, it just goes to show that if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE this is a completely girlie question... (well, being a girl and all...) but what temperatue are you washing at? To get rid of pongs you need to be at 40 minimum. 30 is enough to remove dirt but won't get rid of all the smell...

They were just soaked in water hot enough to make tea with though. If this works, it just goes to show that if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!

You made TEA with your gloves????

Well - while I can see that it would get the right colour, I'm not so sure about the taste.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I bung them in with the rest of my kit now and again but they don't smell
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    An unscheduled drizzly spell soaked them this morning so first wash of the year.

Don't think I've ever washed my fingerless mits.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

You made TEA with your gloves????

Well - while I can see that it would get the right colour, I'm not so sure about the taste.
    If your tea is the same colour as the stuff that comes out of my mitts, remind me to say no to any offer of tea at your house.

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This might be why I'm ill.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Dunno. I've got four identical pairs that live in a drawers in the hall and I just pull two out in a morning to wear (yes pedants, I check that it's one left and one right). Occasionally I throw them in the wash when i get home but statistically there could be a glove in there that has never been washed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I just throw them away when they either smell or generate a hole and get the new ones from the packet.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Asprilla wrote:
    Dunno. I've got four identical pairs that live in a drawers in the hall and I just pull two out in a morning to wear (yes pedants, I check that it's one left and one right). Occasionally I throw them in the wash when i get home but statistically there could be a glove in there that has never been washed.

Good job you cleared that up, else you might have had someone questioning whether you were from Norfolk.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Good job you cleared that up, else you might have had someone questioning whether you were from Norfolk.

I've been posting here long enough to know the confusion it could have caused.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    Nuke them from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
    FTFY

I tend to soak mine in v hot water with a squeeze of anti-dandruff shampoo. Kills all sort of nasties that does.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    The instructions on my fingerless say don't dry clean, don't machine wash so I do mine by erm hand.
    I wash them in washing powder a few times until the water is not brown. The regularity of washing is determined by when I can no longer cope with the smell when I wipe my nose.
  • EKE_38BPM
    25 pootling miles up a tow path completed and my gloves are not whiffy.

Most of the credit goes to vinegar, methinks.

• Shem
    Shem Posts: 24
    Whenever my wife decides they aren't clean any more she takes care of them. I couldn't care less about them but apparently I must look "like I belong to somebody". :roll:
    GMT +8
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I used a combination of detol, Ariel or some such and an antibacterial liquid in the washing machine.

Worked but the smell came back soon enough.

So i boiled them in a old pan on the stove. Worked perfectly.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game