Riding gear

AAG
AAG Posts: 123
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Basically im 18st of idiot and im not sure which clothing i should get, the thought of wearing the tight jerseys/shorts etc is a joke because i would look like a sausage about to explode.

With this in mind i also dont want to stand out from other riders.

Thx
MTB- Cannondale SL2 2011
Road- Saracen Sestriere now winter bike
Road- Trek Domane 4.5 2013

Comments

• cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Depends on how hard you ride, i prefer the tight cycling gear as it is designed to be comfortable when riding long distances and wicks sweat away from your body to keep you cooler.When on the road you will see plenty of people with this sort of gear and everyone else will think of you as a cyclist and not a sausage :)
    If you prefer to wear something else more flattering you could look at the MTB clothing that is more casual but less able to keep you cool.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • McNulty
    McNulty Posts: 63
    dont waste your money on anything not specifically for road riding. It will not take you long to realise that comfort>>>>>>>>>>all other concerns when it comes to clothing so take a deep breath and embrace the lycra :D
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    AAG wrote:
    ...i would look like a sausage about to explode.

With this in mind i also dont want to stand out from other riders.

You won't. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    There are some cycling shirts that are not as tight. Here are some half-decent cheap summer ones:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ss-jersey-3-black-id_8085661.html

They do warmer ones too.

That sort of thing will look the part - until you get the bug proper and start spending a forune on lycra :)

You could also look at shorts or 3/4-length baggies with lycra padded inserts - bascially cycling shorts with baggier shorts over them:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-ascent-baggy-cycling-short/
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I'm no light weight either and the way i look at it is, who really cares what i look like in my lycra and cycling top, im sure people have a lot better things to do than look at me as i cycle past. Get some bibshorts as they hold you in a bit :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011