Spoke wrench

vlado
vlado Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
would like to buy spoke wrench but I'm confused with sizing. Some sizes are metric and some 10G-15G. Does G stands for gauge? What are metric sizes for wrench ranging from 10G up to 15G?
Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    G is for gauge.

Parktools will have the info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    vlado wrote:
    Hi,
    would like to buy spoke wrench but I'm confused with sizing. Some sizes are metric and some 10G-15G. Does G stands for gauge? What are metric sizes for wrench ranging from 10G up to 15G?
    Thanks.

You need to buy one that matches the nipples on your wheels. Until you know what's on the bike, numbers mean nothing. Take the bike to your lbs and try a few. Get a spoke key that encloses as much of the nipple as possible.

Read up on truing wheels and be prepared to put a lot of time into rectifying what you initially mucked up. I speak from experience!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

Read up on truing wheels and be prepared to put a lot of time into rectifying what you initially mucked up. I speak from experience!

This is so true. Been trueing and building wheels for years still managed to make a perfectly round wheel with a broken spoke into an egg shaped wheel the other night. Took me 10 minutes to funk it up and an hour to get it back to where I started :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This is my favourite spoke key The Spokey its easy to find in the tool box and the different sizes are different colours. The nipple is gripped on 4 sides and they are comfy to use.

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1068
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I like the "Park Tool Master Mechanic Spoke Wrench"

Grips on 4 sides, and the metal insert cant pop out like the metal plastic ones, expensive but really nice to use

37250-1.jpg
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • vlado
    vlado Posts: 41
    I know I need the key that matches nipples on my wheels but there must be the metric size for each "G". 10G on one key must be the same as 10G on the other key (from different manufacturer). So what are metric sizes for 10G, 11G...15G?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You're talking about fractions of a mm.

I have a few, as there are tiny differences, some fit fine and others are a struggle to get
    On then off. If youre just doing truing, then a multi 2 sided key should do you fine.
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    Just get one of these as it has all the available spoke sizes and with it being round it's fairly easy to use.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0808610580

Regards

Liam