Huzzah My Ribble Stealth has landed!

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I bought it via the special edition build with a 34/50 compact Sram Force groupset.

My first impressions of the bike are that it's visually very understated. Closer inspection shows some really nice features like solid matt finish and then matt weave coming through where the curves meet. It's not been on the scales yet to compare it with my Allez but even with the cheap wheels on, it's so much lighter to lift. I'll likely put on my Planet X AL30 wheels and donate the Rodi's to my Allez commuter. I can imagine with the further 250gram saving on the wheel swap that this bike is going to feel like lightening in comparison.

Here are some pics of it as it came, I've added a few as I found there wasn't much on the net available when looking. The saddle in some shots is crazy high - that's how it was set from the factory.

IMAG0286.jpg
IMAG0284.jpg
IMAG0279.jpg
IMAG0276.jpg
IMAG0274.jpg
IMAG0273.jpg
IMAG0271.jpg
IMAG0268.jpg
IMAG0266.jpg
IMAG0265.jpg

The Force GS matches the finish perfectly. The dark gunmetal brakes compliment the matt black frame well. The ergonomics of the shifters are curved compared to my old and quite large Sora/Tiagra Shimano on the Allez. There is a noticeable inward curve which feels much more natural when on the hoods. I can imagine on longer rides my wrists will be thanking me.

I had a quick 3 mile ride on it bearing in mind I needed to set it up properly but first impressions are that it feels so tight, solidly smooth and completely rattle free and super quick to get up to speed. I rode it over some well known poor tarmac and the bike just felt like it glided. I dont know if that's down to the frame design, or the fact it's carbon but it makes for such a smooth comfortable ride. I'd always read reviews of opinions of new bikes and thought that there was an element of placebo effect in there but I now know where the reviewers are coming from.

I'm looking forward to getting out on it now come Sunday. :D
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• Well done mate, I have SRAM Force on my ROSE and am very happy, very slick. Happy rides.....
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    It looks gorgeous, will you let me know how the wheels feel please, I am waiting on my ribble but still have time to change wheel options if need be (although I have no money left :-0). Enjoy your bike
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Lovely bike :)

The frame looks great, but the wheels kind of spoil the 'stealth' look!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Nothing like a new bike

Enjoy
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Ooh...very nice 8)

Enjoy
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Most excellent :)
    Big cheesy grin time, nothing better than looking at a new bike.
  • Pic no 1 , what is that top of saddle to headset height , with that saddle settting , I dont think my feet would reach the pedals :lol:
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Congrats fella! Top looking bit of kit!
  • swiftyx2
    swiftyx2 Posts: 203
    Hi,

Looking good mate.....!!!!, infact fantatsic....!!!

Been looking at the Ribble range and that frame looks the dogs bits.

Good luck with her and have some great rides.

PS, How much???, no problem if you dont want too say.

All the best Steve
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    The new bike feeling is great. One feature I like is the FD trim on the big ring and the snappy control via the Force shifters. It takes a few miles of gear change fiddling to get into Sram but it's time well spent as it feels so much more special than my albeit old and poor mans spec Shimano. I have no doubt Ultegra would be good too but I really like the fixed brake lever and shifting of Sram. The fact it's as light as DuraAce makes it a no-brainer.

To answer the questions, it was ~£1450 for everything including the build and it took around 15 days for completion. It's a lot of bike for the money considering the De Rosa R838 at well over £2500 is the same frame with a colour paint job and Campag. You could get the Ribble with 105 or Sram Rival for just over a £1100 which I think is crazy considering.

The frame is a 50cm which fits me well being 5ft 10''. I went to the store to try some frame sizes out before ordering. The seat height in the first pic is 73cm from crank centre to seat rail (same as my Allez) which gives me a nice bend at the knee at full extension. Although I'm 5ft 10'', I do have a 33inch in-seam.

Looking forward to tomorrows ride now! :D
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3