On the verge of giving up...

MikeyO89
MikeyO89 Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
A brief background first would probably be useful:

So last summer I set about purchasing a bike (Which was not easy considering I'm 6ft 3 and finding one around £300 that did the job and fitted me proved difficult). I bought a Claud Butler Criterium 2011 which I loved and I had lots of fun with over the summer.

Then winter came and it very rarely got an outing, only when riding to the girlfriends house! Since this nice whether came around I've been wanting to get back out on it and start riding again. Now the problem is my bike tyre (or more precisely the back inner tube). My first one got a puncture toward September time last year whilst on a ride to Hayling Island so I bought a replacement. Eventually, over the winter, that one went down. I think due to my weight (18st) this is always going to be a problem as road bikes last this aren't designed for fat guys like me haha! Anyway whilst on a ride I started getting vibration so I stopped to pump it up, only the bike fell over and since I was using my hand pump I bent the valve = 2 tubes down. I bought 2 more inner tubes online only they sent me normal length valve ones and since I'd not realised until it was in the tire, refused to offer me a refund. This was 4 tubes now.

So I went to Halfords and bought 2 more. The first one keeps developing a bulge when inflated around the valve so I tried the second one however this time, whilst I was pumping with the wheel off, it fell over and I snapped the valve! So I've now been through 6 inner tubes for my back tyre alone and I'm on the verge of giving up.

I know the best solution would probably be to try something other than a cheap hand pump but without a car I don't know what to get. I can't even get a respectable PSI into the tyre with the hand pump anyway. I'm almost at the point where I've had enough. I just want to ride my bike but all this faffing around with tyres is driving me crazy! What can/should I do guys? I don't want to stop but it's really starting to stress me out.

PS. Sorry for the essay, I hope someone spares 5 minutes to read it :)

Mike

Comments

• logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    edited March 2012
    Halfords do a value floor standing track pump for about £12 which will be so much better over a hand pump, also put the wheel on the bike before you inflate it so it cant fall over and snap the valve.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PLPz1
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Get some tyres with decent puncture resistance. I have Continental Gatorskins on my winter bike. No punctures so far. You also need a track pump - I have a £20 Joe Blow one which is good for 120 psi. I cant really advise on tubes as I have only ever bought about 3
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    To be honest and frank, if a simple issue like that gets you stressed then go on give up!

Or you can change the tyres for a better set something with a better chance of resisting punctures would be a good start. Invest in a decent track pump (one that is tall and stands on the floor). When fitting the inner tubes just prior to reinflating push the valve up into the tyre then fit the final bead into the rim then start to inflate. This will allow the reinforced part of the tube around the valve to sit inside the tyre thus avoiding the bulge, once fully inflated you can put the valve nut and cap on.

Good luck but it is really that simple and not worth getting stressed over.
  • MikeyO89
    Thanks, I guess I'll look in to getting a better pump. I'm just one of these people who's fine buying lots of cheap things that add up but when it comes to making one big purchase I'm always very hesitant!
  • MikeyO89
    Sorry for the double post but wow, £12.99. I guess I always thought it was going to cost me £50 for a proper pump... Oops
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    +1 for Joe Blow. Strong, tough bit of kit.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    my technique from refitting tyres is:

put the tyre onto the rim so that all of one bead in in the middle of the rim bed.
    insert partly inflated inner.
    push the valve nearly all the way in,
    fit the tyre bead at the valve first, ensuring the valve is well inside the bead and the bead is full down into the rim. pull the valve out and thread the nut down tight.
    fit the rest of the tyre bead around the rim.
    pump up to higher than needed pressure (e.g. 120lb), this helps to fully seat rim bead so the tyre is sitting evenly on the rim.
    release some air and pump up to desired pressure.
    fully tighten valve nut.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    If I were you, I'd try to find some local bike maintenance classes. Ask at the library, or bike shop, as if a flat tyre foxes you then it will not be long before another problem puts you off cycling. You will find out how to care for a bike, and riding without worrying about how you'll get home is so much more enjoyable.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • As said by previous posters, get yourself a track pump. Not only will this help to prevent the snapping of valves but you may find that your hand pump struggles to get a decent psi in your tyres, this combined with your 'large' frame will also add to the likelihood of punctures. I personally have never had an issue with cheaper tubes if the tyres are of a good quality.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    When I am fitting a new tube I inflate it very slighly as too much air then means it expands and then it's like you have too much inner tube when you're starting to fit the last section. Just a tiny bit, maybe 10psi and it sits better inside the tyre. When then trying to fit the very last bit of the bead that is really difficult I'd deflate the tyre completely before getting that done.
    Floor / track pumps are way better than hand pumps, you'll laugh at how much better at getting over 100psi is - that sort of pressure if near impossible without one.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The tips about refitting the tube miss a couple of points out.

Fit the tyre on one side only, slightly inflate the tube so that it's circular and insert it evenly inside the tyre, then complete the tyre fitting. Work your way round eyeballing the fit of the bead inside the rim and to check that there's no tube peeking out. Do this on both sides.

Inflate it a bit more and then go round again checking that the bead is correctly and evenly inside the rim. Use your thumbs to move it round a bit to get it roughly even. Check again for the tube peeking out.

Inflate it to full pressure and give it one final check to be sure that everything is correct. Nip the valve up so that it's sealed and that's it. No need for a valve cap, and the valve retaining nut is one below the plastic dork disc in terms of having no place on a decent bike. Lob it in the nearest bin.

Track pumps are best; you want to be at about 100 psi for a good balance of comfort & puncture resistance.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Get a track pump, it doesn't have to be expensive. I'll always eventually wreck the valves if I only use a mini pump.
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    if you don't want want to fork out too much on a track pump, Lidl have them for £6-7, I would also question putting in 100psi if you are overweight (like me), I think 90 would be enough, but then again I am a beginner and maybe wrong on that one.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    CiB wrote:
    ...and the valve retaining nut is one below the plastic dork disc in terms of having no place on a decent bike. Lob it in the nearest bin...

Funny that, I've got them on all my bikes. I've also never ripped a valve out. Coincidence?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • CiB
    CiB wrote:
    ...and the valve retaining nut is one below the plastic dork disc in terms of having no place on a decent bike. Lob it in the nearest bin...

Funny that, I've got them on all my bikes. I've also never ripped a valve out. Coincidence?
    Coincidence? No. All mine go straight in the bin, and tubes that I've bought over the last year or so have threadless valves and [obviously] no nut. I've never ripped a valve out either.

No-one minds if you do use them tho.
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Kingy911 wrote:
    if you don't want want to fork out too much on a track pump, Lidl have them for £6-7, I would also question putting in 100psi if you are overweight (like me), I think 90 would be enough, but then again I am a beginner and maybe wrong on that one.
    The Lidl track pump broke after barely getting in 90psi for me. You get what you pay for. Go for a Joe Blow, this is what I have, it's cheap and reliable and gets up to 120 psi easily.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0010VP ... B0010VPLZ2

Also, wrong advice from Kingy911. The heavier you are, the higher you want your psi to avoid pinch flats or snakebites.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Haven't read the whole thread, but have you taken it to your LBS and asked them to show you how its done properly?
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    i use the pump below,and i have had a few probs fitting a tube.
    And have blown a few either nipping the tube or over inflation lol...
    The pump is a real bargain and you wont get better for the money IMO

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow ... les.org.uk
  • Kingy911
    Also, wrong advice from Kingy911. The heavier you are, the higher you want your psi to avoid pinch flats or snakebites.
    yeachan153

I bow and cock my tifter to your superior knowledge. Thank you.

Last season when I pumped up to 100 psi I had 2 blowouts (nearly 15st), now keep it at 90-95 psi and so far touch wood, been ok. I just presumed (wrongly) that if you blew up to max psi and then added a slightly heavier than average rider it would add more stress to the tube/tyre
  • Kingy911
    co*k(c) my hat came out as fool??
  • CiB
    100 psi isn't max tho, it's more like 120 for most decent tyres. I've been close to 15 st before now and always run mine at about 110 without issue. Sounds like you were just a bit unlucky, or the tyre / tube wasn't seated properly.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I once made the mistake of pulling the valve snug to the rim (and fixing it with the little nut) before inflating the tyre. It had the effect of unseating the tyre bead. There was a noticable deflection in the tyre sidewall which I ignored and inevitable the tube blew just next to the valve.
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    yup, i'm 16st 6lb and i go to the max as stated on tyre wall. 115 psi. No puntures yet, touch wood :D
  • Bought my track pump from Tesco for about £7 (it was ages ago). Cracking bit of kit. Having a proper pump will make all the difference - loads of places seem to be selling the Joe Blows at the minute, they're great and having one will make all the difference. Oh, and don't give up!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    MikeyO89 I don't think anybody has mentioned this yet but if you get a puncture make sure you clear the tyre of what ever caused the puncture.

check out this vid:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/v ... ers-31368/

don't despair, I was useless with bikes at first (many would say I still am) but do all my own maintenance now mainly by researching on here, other sites and youtube.
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    don't despair, I was useless with bikes at first (many would say I still am) but do all my own maintenance now mainly by researching on here, other sites and youtube.
    you and me both,ive made loads of mistakes with my bikes but the help on here and the cycling weekly forum has been a great help for me......