Slowing down = Faster Average Speed?

thescouselander
thescouselander Posts: 549
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I've been trying a few things going to and from work this week. Basically I was trying to compare the difference between just pushing as hard as a can and trying to keep a constant speed. To my surprise my best time was when I took it relatively easy. In fact I managed my fastest time when it felt like I was hardly putting much effort in on the flats saving my legs for the hills.

Seems to me getting a faster average speed is as much about controlling pace as having strength in the legs. Has anyone else found this?

Comments

• ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    i believe its all about the breathing and keeping yourself stress free when riding

its a bit like swimming if your breathing poorly you struggle, if you can get relaxed and calm keep your diafram relaxed also you go better, i think also relaxing the arms shoulders helps ME :mrgreen:

if all you do is smash it and no rhythm you can't perform as well, im sure there's an exact science to working correctly ive not found it yet but id love to get and go quicker with the same energy :mrgreen:

guess practice makes perfect
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Ive found that regardless of how hard I push or how I feel, my av speed ect. is totally random and unpredictable. This is why I dont use cycle computers anymore (I'm conviced they dont tell the truth). Welcome to the world of cycling- frustrating and knackering but atleast we dont have to queue up at a petrol stations for hours.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    WIND

is the key, together with all the other variables. Even if you are on a circular route, or aggregating times there and back, different wind speeds and directions will have different effects.

Mind you there is an element of pacing involved too, I think that just comes with practice. 20,000 or so road miles and I'm still hoping I'll get it one day.
  • This week has been very good for making comparisons as there has been hardly any wind first thing in the morning. I'm usually pretty consistent getting into work anyway so I'm convinced controlling my pace improved my average speed.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Wind is a killer

Monday, Wednesday runs were perfect hot and windless, todays run killed me tried to relax and hit it no good 1.5mph down on wednesday then again felt crap today to much sport no rest :?
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    I've been going out for hour rides in the morning. Last few weeks I've been tearing off from the start and then fading fast and struggling with hills. This morning I took the first two miles easier to warm up and then paced myself a lot better. Grew stronger as the ride went on and didn't feel too tired at all. Ended up slightly bettering the times from the last two weeks. Definitely think a warm-up helps.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Warm up not only helps but is essential if you are to consistently avoid muscle injury. Should also stretch before and after.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    smidsy wrote:
    Warm up not only helps but is essential if you are to consistently avoid muscle injury. Should also stretch before and after.

The benefits of stretching prior to exercise are disputed http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/flexibility/a/aa022102a.htm

You are certainly best not doing them prior to completing a warm up and how many people would do a gentle warm up on the bike and then get off to stretch when out on a training ride?
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I've upped my average for my 20 mile hilly route and 20 mile flat route. I hear what your saying on the hills I put in max effort and say speeds on 10 -11mph where I would only normally see 9mph. I even got out of the saddle on small inclines where I know my speed was going to drop I just kept watching that arrow that says I was riding above my avg on that day kept above it as much as I could. I went 18,7mph avg hilly route 20 mile and 21.1mph flat route 20 mile. I was puting in max effort most of the time soI can' t agree with all you've said.