Group Buys

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Has this ever been tried on the forum before? I'm not even sure what we could start with: tyres, inners, lights - not sure what. Just a thought - just seems from the "gear bought" thread that we have a reasonable amount of buying power.

ETA - maybe we could influence the Daily Deal to some things we need?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Has this ever been tried on the forum before? I'm not even sure what we could start with: tyres, inners, lights - not sure what. Just a thought - just seems from the "gear bought" thread that we have a reasonable amount of buying power.

didnt someone organise a group buy of jerseys not that long ago?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcow007 wrote:

didnt someone organise a group buy of jerseys not that long ago?

Hoogerland jerseys/t-shirts after his off in TdF.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    spasypaddy wrote:
    can we do powertaps?

What did you have to go and say that for? :shock: :wink::wink:

I thought I was broadly safe but a Powertap would be a fab thing to have...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    How about SCR Jerseys (Plain colour, no logo's, no pictures. We wouldn't what others to recognise any of us).
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Yeah, that reminds me, I need to follow up on that!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I got one - I wasn't even on the list! :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I have tried, a number of times, to get hold of people on these! The last PM I sent out to those still waiting on their shirts was on December 11th. In case you were wondering, it's fidbod (x2), Donnic, HamishD, rowing_sculling, notsoblue and phy2sll2

phy2sll2 - the note I've got next to you is 'Away for two weeks from Thursday 28th July. Sort picking up upon return.'!

I got one - I wasn't even on the list!

Not from me you didn't, did you?! Got you on the spreadsheet as wanting one, but never got the money from you so didn't order. Same for mkirby.

In regards to group buys? It worked, but wasn't the easiest of things to organise to be honest - collecting the monies was simple enough, it's the distribution of the widgets that's proved the hardest! I've had said t-shirts all packaged up in jiffy bags and taking up space in the wardobe since arrival.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'd totally forgotten! PM'd...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    That's a lesson for anyone who is interested in doing it in the future. Don't rely on PMs and forum posts, get email addresses and/or phone numbers.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    suzyb wrote:
    That's a lesson for anyone who is interested in doing it in the future. Don't rely on PMs and forum posts, get email addresses and/or phone numbers.
    Seeing as Lastant did all the hard work, I don't see why he would also have to waste his time emailing and phoning people for their addresses. The onus, surely, is on those who requested a t-shirt to provide their details :?:
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I did try and get details for forwarding on the widgets, honest!

One other thing that is worth mentioning is customs charges - we got 'stung' as the t-shirts arrived which added an extra two pounds or so onto the cost of each item. Would probably add that on top in future and refund if the package got through unnoticed.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Scr skin suit anyone?

http://gearclub.co.uk/product_info.php? ... cts_id=296

Seriously is anyone interested in an order of custom shorts and jerseys, maybe with an SCR theme, or just a commuter chat theme. I have a gearclub jersey from another club they and it is pretty good. I don't mind looking into this but someone else would need to do design work I'm crap at that king of thing. I wonder if bike radar, cycling plus or someone else would sponsor them it must be a good advertising opportunity with so many of us cycling in London.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    kelsen wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Seeing as Lastant did all the hard work, I don't see why he would also have to waste his time emailing and phoning people for their addresses. The onus, surely, is on those who requested a t-shirt to provide their details :?:
    It's no more time consuming sending an email than it is a PM. And there should be a better chance of pepople getting that email as it doesn't required them coming on the forum and finding a thread or checking PMs.
  • mudcow007
    Sketchley wrote:
    Scr skin suit anyone?

Seriously is anyone interested in an order of custom shorts and jerseys, maybe with an SCR theme, or just a commuter chat theme. I have a gearclub jersey from another club they and it is pretty good. I don't mind looking into this but someone else would need to do design work I'm crap at that king of thing. I wonder if bike radar, cycling plus or someone else would sponsor them it must be a good advertising opportunity with so many of us cycling in London.....

i could get our graphic designer to have a go at it....?

shout me a holla n i will ask him
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Sketchley wrote:
    Scr skin suit anyone?

Kinda torn... yes I want but I wonder if it goes against the point of SCR. Sod it, I'm in.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:
    Scr skin suit anyone?

Kinda torn... yes I want but I wonder if it goes against the point of SCR. Sod it, I'm in.

doesn't have to be scr themed....
    --
    Chris

• cyclingprop
    True. I'm in either way though. Will look odd on the train in lycra though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    lastant wrote:

I got one - I wasn't even on the list!

Not from me you didn't, did you?! Got you on the spreadsheet as wanting one, but never got the money from you so didn't order. Same for mkirby.

Noooo - one guy got the wrong size. Ordered a fat bast*rd one and it was too big, but I am and it isn't for me :D SO I bought it off him.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sketchley
    A few people seem interested. So please goto gearclub website, pick what you might want, long sleeves, short sleeve, no zip, full length zip, shorts, tights, caps etc, with sizes please and pm me or post here what you might want, as that'll give me and idea of qty to start talking to them about. No commitment required at the moment. As for design suggestions are welcome, but first yet me know preference for an scr based design, commuting chat, or somthing else? Also any opinions on sponsorship?
    --
    Chris

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Hmm, along the same lines...

I really want one of the large seatbags from here: http://www.bikepack.eu/shop/

But I'm a little put off by the £15 shipping charge - anyone else interested?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sketchley wrote:
    A few people seem interested. So please goto gearclub website, pick what you might want, long sleeves, short sleeve, no zip, full length zip, shorts, tights, caps etc, with sizes please and pm me or post here what you might want, as that'll give me and idea of qty to start talking to them about. No commitment required at the moment. As for design suggestions are welcome, but first yet me know preference for an scr based design, commuting chat, or somthing else? Also any opinions on sponsorship?

I'd be up for a short sleeved full zip top and matching shorts - SCR based design or an 'in-joke' design to be recognisable to other denizens but not Joe Public? - Ha! what about one of those 3D barcode jobbies that simply directs you to the SCR thread when you point a smartphone at it :mrgreen: ?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Group buy of TwinSix jerseys for SCR, the definition of Cat 6 racing :) Something like http://www.twinsix.com/gear/mens-tech/the-cat-6-2012#2 or the London one?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cyclingprop
    Group buy of TwinSix jerseys for SCR, the definition of Cat 6 racing :) Something like http://www.twinsix.com/gear/mens-tech/the-cat-6-2012#2 or the London one?

LIKE!
  • Kieran_Burns

LIKE!

+1
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    yeah i'd be a up for a jersey, sign me up sarge
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Looks good!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Am happy to approach TwinSix or AlwaysRiding (UK stockists) about a group buy on the TwinSix jerseys but may be more interesting to see what designs we could come up with for Sketchley's proposal.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cyclingprop
    Thats what I was thinking. Will look on Weds when I have some time :)