Short, fat... but hairy?

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I'm fat and slow. Am I going to look a tool if I shave my legs?
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Do you get massages after your rides? No?

No need then...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited March 2012
    ajoten wrote:
    You'd be better off shaving 'your bits' so that the misses can have a giggle :lol:
    [nothing to do with your height or weight btw]
    Simon
  • ajoten wrote:

Tool no, possibly more like a chicken drumstick :wink:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    ddraver wrote:
    Do you get massages after your rides? No?

No need then...

Not entirely accurate as it also helps with dealing with cuts, gravel rash etc if you have a tumble. Nowt worse that matted hairs and plasters. :shock:

Also you are only assuming he does not get massages. :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    If you want to shave your legs then shave your legs. If you don’t don’t. Either way it’s up to you.

Me? I’m a shaver (and I get a quality massage off the Mrs ;-))
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    does anyone go half way -> and just trim the legs? (with an electric razor with no attachment -> is that grade 0?)

Then you can look pro from a distance, and less weird from up close.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    If your not to sure...Just shave one leg and take it from there !! lol
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I’m a shaver (and I get a quality massage off the Mrs ;-))

Me too.

His Mrs, not mine :wink::D
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Shave the words "GUN SHOW" on your calves and impress the outlaws at your next BBQ
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    I'm currently reading Lance Armstrong's autobiography (It's not about the bike) and he was saying that it's better to keep your legs shaved. Otherwise it's harder to get the little bits of grit off your skin after a ride.
    Don't end up standing in front of the mirror and thinking about it because you'll end up telling yourself that you look like a tool. Just shave them and it's easier to get the grit off. Trust me, nobody will be looking at your legs when you are out on the bike, if they are, they are the ones that are the tools because I mean, who goes out to look at the cyclists legs as they pass?
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I'm currently reading Lance Armstrong's autobiography (It's not about the bike) and he was saying that it's better to keep your legs shaved. Otherwise it's harder to get the little bits of grit off your skin after a ride.

Er, a shower? :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Is the OP male or female?

If so the answer is maybe
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Should I consider a transplant for my legs? I'm suffering from that middle age lower leg loss of hair growth due to years of wearing socks and trousers. Look good in the summer with a tan on the bike, but otherwise just a tool..... :wink:

PP
  • alihisgreat
    Don't end up standing in front of the mirror and thinking about it because you'll end up telling yourself that you look like a tool. Just shave them and it's easier to get the grit off. Trust me, nobody will be looking at your legs when you are out on the bike, if they are, they are the ones that are the tools because I mean, who goes out to look at the cyclists legs as they pass?

Most people go outside in public when they are not on the bike too!

and in the summer -> what do people wear off the bike? oh yeah -> shorts!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    RC856 wrote:
    I’m a shaver (and I get a quality massage off the Mrs ;-))

Me too.

His Mrs, not mine :wink::D

Boom tsh! He's here all season ladies and gentlemen :D
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Does anything look worse on the bike than hairy legs?

(Slow, fat, shaven) > (superfit, hairy) times A MILLION
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I got hairy legs, not fussed to shave them. got the older fella thing too with the bald patches. the bald patches are good though 'cos when I wear shorts, you can see the cuts and scars and bruises from the stones and wire and brambles that abuse me when I'm riding my mountain bike.

Look guys, there are not too many of us that look good in lycra, most of us are not athletes, we have saggy skin, bulging bellies and odd tan lines. hairy or shaved legs? No-one is looking (unless you walk through tesco's with blood dripping down). they are too busy laughing at the clothes we are wearing, calling us a 'tool' for dressing like Lance.

And Josh, 'it's not about the bike'' ? it's a fairy story, I was taken in when I first read it, I'm older and wiser now, sadder too.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Sometimes those who have let themselves go will encourage you to do the same.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    The subject has been discussed several times, i believe one conclusion led to the statement, "If you shave your legs be prepared to bring the pain" being dropped like a lead balloon whilst looking like a pro is embarassing.

I prefer to have hair on my legs when getting dropped, it keeps me warm.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Tom Dean wrote:

Ouch :!:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    The gravel rash reason is such a poor excuse for shaving, do you intend falling off your bike regularly? Personally I try to avoid it.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Easier to remove grit? The better to massage? Easier to deal with cuts and grazes? More streamlined?

Don't make me laugh. . .you bald-legged poseurs don't actually seriously believe any of these really apply to you, do you?

It's about vanity and ego, the misguided belief that if you look a bit like a pro then others will admire you as much as you admire yourselves!

Nothing wrong with that, in fact I can, like any other heterosexual man, admire a nice pair of cyclists toned, tanned legs (maybe even yours, big boy. . . :wink: ), but don't tell us that you shave for anything other than pose value. :wink:
  • alihisgreat
    Easier to remove grit? The better to massage? Easier to deal with cuts and grazes? More streamlined?

Don't make me laugh. . .you bald-legged poseurs don't actually seriously believe any of these really apply to you, do you?

It's about vanity and ego, the misguided belief that if you look a bit like a pro then others will admire you as much as you admire yourselves!

Nothing wrong with that, in fact I can, like any other heterosexual man, admire a nice pair of cyclists toned, tanned legs (maybe even yours, big boy. . . :wink: ), but don't tell us that you shave for anything other than pose value. :wink:

n596825930_1101815_2346.jpg

there you go bud, feast your eyes on those guns... :roll:
  • ajoten
    ajoten Posts: 321
    If I shaved me legs it would be purely to feel I looked proper. But if I saw myself on a £5k Cervelo, I wouldn't think "he May be fat and slow but he ain't a tool".
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I've got hairy legs, but they are long and muscular (not short and fat like the OP)

I've never had a problem with road rash / gravel / sticking plasters.

I also don't get overtaken - I do all the overtaking on my rides.

However I can see that shaved legs do look good, if you're tanned and well defined. If you're pale and fat then I think it just looks daft, but who are we to judge... Just do your thing - I would certainly never comment, even if I noticed.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Tom Dean wrote:

some people are getting back into shape after years of back problems and quite happy with the new found muscles. 8)
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Secteur wrote:

awesome..
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Secteur wrote:

awesome..

Haha... Ok, maybe not ALL the overtaking, but most of it! (I'm definitely a non competitive cyclist, but I just like to go as fast as I can)
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I think the op should do what he likes. Personally I'm a shaver but since I also race it's pretty much normal among the people I ride with.

Besides vanity / looking pro the best reason I've heard for it is that if you want to have a go at forming a break in a race no-one is going to follow you if you have hairy legs unless you're known as 'that hairy guy who keeps destroying us'.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    I think the op should do what he likes. Personally I'm a shaver but since I also race it's pretty much normal among the people I ride with.

Besides vanity / looking pro the best reason I've heard for it is that if you want to have a go at forming a break in a race no-one is going to follow you if you have hairy legs unless you're known as 'that hairy guy who keeps destroying us'.

Wow :shock:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver