Carbon or Dropper seat post?

A16UYF
A16UYF Posts: 66
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hello all,

My new project, an all mountain rig based around a Cube Sting frame is nearly finished and I was wondering whether I would be better going for a Dropper seat post or keeping with the Carbon one I already have?

Your comments and suggestions are very welcome as always

Cheers
Cube Sting SCR (custom build)
Spesh allez (factory build)

Comments

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Dropper all the way....A Reverb of course
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Dropper all the way....A Reverb of course
    I concur
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Carbon if you want to save weight ;-). Though on a Sting, a dropper makes more sense than on a Zaskar...
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I have a quick release on my bike, it takes slightly longer to use, weighs considerably less and cost me like... a fiver... All of these things please me greatly

But I'm a ludite.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I have a quick release on my bike, it takes slightly longer to use, weighs considerably less and cost me like... a fiver... All of these things please me greatly
    Wow. I didn't realise people still came out with crap like that.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Well do you want to have a silly carbon seatpost that doesn't weigh much, or a seatpost that drops? Can't really compare the two...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    Wow. I didn't realise people still came out with crap like that.

Yes your honour, I'd like to call my next witness to the stand; Ilovedirt:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Well do you want to have a silly carbon seatpost that doesn't weigh much, or a seatpost that drops? Can't really compare the two...
    I agreed entirely with these sentiments, that a pointless question gets a pointless response. Why even ask for advice on this when the choice is entirely personal?
    My closing statement is you buy what ever the hell you want.

So Judge McGee, tell me straight, is it a life sentence? The chair? Death by chainring?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Still writing jibberish?
    What an impressive specimen you are.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I had to use a jubilee clip once, wrapped duct tape round the frame to protect the paint first though. Would make a good rat bike finishing touch.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bluechair84
    What an impressive specimen you are.

Yes, the bit that you thought was jibberish was a reference to how you glide about as judge, jury and executioner on here, as exemplified by the above quote. But I don't go about just looking to insult people like you.
    I laugh with you when you're funny, I laugh at you when you are showing blatant hypocrisy. Either way, welcome back.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    more rubbish
    oh I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your inane rambling, I hadn't realised it was actually awesome advice.

You know what irks me about ratarses like you? Your readiness to post meaningless drivel, and then try and blame others for your inability to take part in any meaningful discourse.
    Your post didn't offer any advice or reasoning. It just showed your utter ignorance of what was being discussed. Basically being a troll, but a humourless one.
  • supersonic
    To be honest, if i take the Zaskar out on more jumpy terrain, I do use that QR and drop it ;-)
  • bluechair84
    Well, I've just gone to a carbon post in an aim to get the Moment to <30lbs. It's a lot shorter than the Pro and I saved 100grams... I could have lost that by cutting the Pro down! I'm not convinced that a carbon post has any advantages. A least a dropper will do what it says on the tin and fulfils it's niche.
  • ilovedirt
    Unless you actually race XC, I don't think anyone can really justify the expense of carbon finishing kit, it's pointless.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    The exotic ones are only 37 quid for a post, which isn't bad considering the price of pretty much any branded alu one... I'm just disappointed it wasn't any lighter. Maybe more expensive brands can use the material better and shave more weight out of it, but agree, they're too expensive to warrant the gains.
  • supersonic
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Unless you actually race XC, I don't think anyone can really justify the expense of carbon finishing kit, it's pointless.

But carbon doesn't just mean XC - is used across the spectrum from XC to DH ie Haven bars. And is not always expensive, I have the Exotic post as mentioned above, cheaper than a Thomson, a hell of a lot lighter!
    I'm just disappointed it wasn't any lighter

How come? Mine weighs 170 for a 350mm x 31.6, unheard of for this side of £80, never mind £40!
  • bluechair84
    I'll come back with some weights later... I'm heading into the workshop thread for advice before I lop an arm off...
  • ilovedirt
    supersonic wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

But carbon doesn't just mean XC - is used across the spectrum from XC to DH ie Haven bars. And is not always expensive, I have the Exotic post as mentioned above, cheaper than a Thomson, a hell of a lot lighter!
    Non-racing downhill riders with carbon parts are even more ridiculous! Thomson gear is also unjustifiably overpriced IMO. I have a £17 Tioga post on my downhill sled. I'm not saying people should all buy cheap finishing kit, but buying carbon bars/post/stem etc to shave weight on a bike not used for racing, particularly when more important parts have been overlooked, is just daft. I've seen plenty of people on here buying expensive carbon bars and stem just because they can whilst they have some shitty pedals/tyres etc that are begging to be upgraded! This is why I don't own any carbon parts, I'm too busy spending money on the parts that matter ;)

[/rant]
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    I bought a tioga post because I was too tight to purchase anything more expensive... It lasted two rides before I bent to buggery the clamp.[/alternative side for objectivity]
  • supersonic
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Non-racing downhill riders with carbon parts are even more ridiculous! Thomson gear is also unjustifiably overpriced IMO. I have a £17 Tioga post on my downhill sled. I'm not saying people should all buy cheap finishing kit, but buying carbon bars/post/stem etc to shave weight on a bike not used for racing, particularly when more important parts have been overlooked, is just daft. I've seen plenty of people on here buying expensive carbon bars and stem just because they can whilst they have some shitty pedals/tyres etc that are begging to be upgraded! This is why I don't own any carbon parts, I'm too busy spending money on the parts that matter ;)

[/rant]

It all depends on your budget, bike and what you want to achieve. Sure some people buy it just because it is carbon and neglect other parts they maybe should have upgraded first, but many do it because it is a lot lighter, and to say it is 'pointless' is a bit far fetched!

I don't race, but I have well priced carbon stuff on my bikes. And parts that do matter to me.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Carbon bars are nice too. I haven't actually tried them on either of my current bikes, but back before suspension was everywhere, I had a carbon bar that took almost all of the trail buzz out of the hands.
    Not tried a carbon post, yet, but I suspect it achieves the similar kind of thing.
    To make an alloy post that springy would, I suspect, require so little material to be used that it's strength would be sacrificed substantially.
  • supersonic
    Prices are coming down a lot too, and you are beginning to get decent weight saving with some kit. I don't know how some palces can justify the prices of their alloy kit.
  • ilovedirt
    I've had 3 or 4 tioga posts because i pretty much forgot to account for the costs of small parts etc whilst building bikes up. All of them have been completely fine, some of which were run for a number of months with no issues at all. What clamp did you bend and how?!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    supersonic wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

[/rant]

It all depends on your budget, bike and what you want to achieve. Sure some people buy it just because it is carbon and neglect other parts they maybe should have upgraded first, but many do it because it is a lot lighter, and to say it is 'pointless' is a bit far fetched!

I don't race, but I have well priced carbon stuff on my bikes. And parts that do matter to me.
    "a lot lighter"? Really? 50g here or there never really makes much difference to your average rider does it really?

Yeehaa - isn't that what decent damping systems are for? I'd rather invest another £100 (on top of what i would already be willing to pay) in a decent suspension fork than a carbon bar...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    When I originally took weights to compare the Pro Koryak with the new Exotic carbon, it was around 100g saved - but I'm only using a standard cooks scale. I didn't measure how much longer the Koryak was though, quiet a bit longer! I felt I could have saved much of that 100g by trimming the Pro down. Which I might do as an experiment as I've cross-threaded the head. It's been a crap few days for maintenance here!

I bent the tioga post at the back of the clamping area. A few heavy landings had forced the rear of the rail supports down so it was being pinched at the front and it rocked at the back. I replaced it with a Superstar one and on closer inspection it looks pretty much exactly the same design - this one has held up though.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Yeehaa - isn't that what decent damping systems are for? I'd rather invest another £100 (on top of what i would already be willing to pay) in a decent suspension fork than a carbon bar...
    Not really. The really high-frequency buzzing still isn't absorbed very well by suspension, - it's not their main prority really.
    And like a few have already said, you can get decent carbon bits for about £40. No need to spend a ton.
  • Bigmitch
    Bigmitch Posts: 65
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Carbon silly you are havin a laugh :lol:
  • supersonic
    "a lot lighter"? Really? 50g here or there never really makes much difference to your average rider does it really?

This is the thing - it adds up. My hardtail can take a 140mm fork, is tough and weighs 22lbs. My bars weigh 147g. That's a more than 50g saving on most tough bars. More than 100g even. The frame is 3lbs. 170g for the post and it has taken a lot of abuse, is fine. They also damp the vibrations nicely. If people have the money and want to shed weight, why not? And as above, some people do it for vibration damping too.
    Yeehaa - isn't that what decent damping systems are for?

No, as Yeehaa says - high frequencies can bypass the sus as there is no movement of the damper.

So yeah, these parts are a lot lighter. You seem to be saying people are silly for buying such parts, I say it depends on exactly what, how much, what they are comparing to etc. Not everyone needs or wants dropper posts.
  • supersonic
    When I originally took weights to compare the Pro Koryak with the new Exotic carbon, it was around 100g saved - but I'm only using a standard cooks scale.

Koryak is great stuff, pretty much the only alloy seatpost I'd consider. well priced, tough, relatively light.
  • ilovedirt
    supersonic wrote:
    Yeehaa - isn't that what decent damping systems are for?

No, as Yeehaa says - high frequencies can bypass the sus as there is no movement of the damper.

So yeah, these parts are a lot lighter. You seem to be saying people are silly for buying such parts, I say it depends on exactly what, how much, what they are comparing to etc. Not everyone needs or wants dropper posts.
    I'm not entirely sure what I was trying to say any more :lol: I think I have a bit of resentment for people who can afford to spend stupid money on parts when they'd benefit more from actually riding their bike...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5