George Galloway landslide in Bradford

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
If I were Ed Milliband I would have a bum twitching like a rabbits nose right now.....
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've just been listening to Radio 4 and GG certainly kicked Labour's (and everyone elses) backside. As you said, Millibland should be feeling very nervous.

If Labour can't win one of their safe seats after the budget that wasn't exactly friendly to Labour's typical supporters, the Granny tax, the Pasty tax, fuel panic, Cameron's donation furore etc, boy are they in trouble.

SNP have nicked Scotland from Labour, Boris and Ken neck and neck and now Bradford.
    I think someone may well be getting Millibland's coat for him.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Wouldn't read too much into this result.

Galloway's 'personality' wins a lot of votes as does his single issue antiwar party.

I would have thought it would have gone down especially well in Bradford
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Hmmm, I'm not so sure. The fact that GG and Respect have had success in Bradford and Bethnal Green isn't a coincidence.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    TBH - I think the Millipede is unelectable - he has f*ck all charisma. I don't think Labour want to be in power, there is a huge mess to clean up - let the CONDEMS really take the brunt of the crap and when everyone is tired of the same excuses from them; all change! Elections are not won as such, I believe that they are simply lost.

Note:
    Winter of discontent in '79 - tories did nothing special, Labour just f*cked up royally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    gtvlusso wrote:
    TBH - I think the Millipede is unelectable - he has f*ck all charisma. I don't think Labour want to be in power, there is a huge mess to clean up - let the CONDEMS really take the brunt of the crap and when everyone is tired of the same excuses from them; all change! Elections are not won as such, I believe that they are simply lost.

Note:
    Winter of discontent in '79 - tories did nothing special, Labour just f*cked up royally.

I can agree with Labour not wanting to be elected and they seem to be doing just everything to ensure that it doesn't happen.

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Do by-elections actually mean anything? Bradford will probably vote labour back in come the next election, when the fear of a Tory majority is being bashed down their throats. If Galloway was a more prominent figure in politics, with a serious political party behind him, this might mean something. As it is Respect is a one issue, virtually one man party.

Besides, Milliband does seem to be a bit of a sacrificial goat, for the party to hide behind, whilst they sort their direction out.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Hopefully the Labour party is thinking 'f*ck we ballsed that up when we picked him'

Nice to see the lib dems lost their deposit, they are gone as of the next election. that wet douche Ed Davey should not just be getting his coat, he needs to get hailing a cab.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    What's the feeling on the probable outcome of Gorgeous Boris vs The Newt Collector Round Two?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    SimonAH wrote:
    What's the feeling on the probable outcome of Gorgeous Boris vs The Newt Collector Round Two?
    Livingston doesn't really stand a chance.
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    My feeling is that galloway is further left than the labour party and we are starting to see the start of a leftward swing.

But I'm a closet commie and optimist.

Condems in trouble, angering pensioners, anyone who uses NHS (will go down the pan I think), anyone who eats pasties (and I live in devon) etc etc
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    edited March 2012
    motdoc wrote:
    My feeling is that galloway is further left than the labour party and we are starting to see the start of a leftward swing.

By people already on the left . . . When the left moves left they become unelectable . . .

628.jpg

neil-kinnock-close-biography.jpg

220px-JOHN_SMITH_PORTRAIT.JPG

220px-GordonBrown1234_cropped_.jpg

ed-miliband-manifesto.jpg

Elections won = Nil
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    George Galloway. The definition of a narcissist.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    SimonAH wrote:
    If I were Ed Milliband I would have a bum twitching like a rabbits nose right now.....

What I found very interesting was that the Tories actually had a bigger loss of share than Labour - 22% to 20% IIRC. The LibDems were nowhere in that constituency anyway but still lost out a bit.

No wonder they needed Pastygate and the Jerrycan Crisis to take the heat off.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    rjsterry wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

What I found very interesting was that the Tories actually had a bigger loss of share than Labour - 22% to 20% IIRC. The LibDems were nowhere in that constituency anyway but still lost out a bit.

No wonder they needed Pastygate and the Jerrycan Crisis to take the heat off.

Labour lost their safe seat.
    Conservative lost a bigger share than Labour.
    LibDem lost their deposit (embarrassing).
    Respect got 56% of the vote from a standing start.

Labour put up an Asian muslim in a heavily Asian muslim area and still lost. GG seems to have the Asian Muslim vote sewn up both oop north and in civilisation.

• I've just read an article saying that woman was decanting petrol next to her lit oven...

Darwin was definately correct.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've just read an article saying that woman was decanting petrol next to her lit oven...

Darwin was definitely correct.

Yeah, I heard that and thought the same (apart from the fact that she has already bred).

The story goes along the lines of her daughter needed some petrol, so mum poured it from (or to, I can't remember) a glass container in her kitchen whilst a hob fire was lit. Petrol vapours reached the fire and flashed-back to the container, resulting in some BAAAAAD burns.

One good thing about my mispent youth is that I now know how dangerous petrol is.

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    there was something about this on Radio 2 about 5 mins ago. they interviewed someone who said "yeah he reached out to the people, visiting mosques etc an even sent everyone letters to say he doesn't drink alcohol"

me thinks he may be just targeting a certain group of voters??
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Jez mon
    mudcow007 wrote:
    there was something about this on Radio 2 about 5 mins ago. they interviewed someone who said "yeah he reached out to the people, visiting mosques etc an even sent everyone letters to say he doesn't drink alcohol"

That's exactly what he was going for, and to be fair, it worked!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Jez mon wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

The Cad
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Jez mon wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

It is a strange tactic though. Target a group not noted for their political activism, get them to vote for you by pandering to their issues, blow everyone else out of the water including a rival who is actually part of that group.

Its a bit like West Ham attempting to pass Barcelona to death at the Nou Camp and succeeding.
    Oh yeah, cycling forum. Its a bit like Cav taking on Schleck in the mountains and winning.

• Jez mon
    Are they not noted for their political activism, or is it just no one usually panders to this certain group of voters because to do so you need to visit lots of mosques and say you don't drink, which then puts you at odds with the majority of this country.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I think the well-publicissed death of a main campaigner helped with the sympathy vote on 20 March:

http://www.respectparty.org/2012/03/tra ... paign.html
  • notsoblue
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    It is a strange tactic though. Target a group not noted for their political activism, get them to vote for you by pandering to their issues, blow everyone else out of the water including a rival who is actually part of that group.
    Not sure I'd agree with that. Religion and politics go together very well and from what I gather Respect have capitalised on this by targeting British muslims who felt strongly about the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Not sure I'd agree with that. Religion and politics go together very well and from what I gather Respect have capitalised on this by targeting British muslims who felt strongly about the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.
    I see what you mean, but I don't really get the sense that young Asian muslims spend a lot of time at the local Labour club or out campaigning/on the hustings.
    Targetting a group is one thing (and, boy, did he target them), but getting them to actually go out and vote is quite another. I have no numbers to back myself up, but I don't think Asian muslims have a big turn out at the polls.

• notsoblue
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I see what you mean, but I don't really get the sense that young Asian muslims spend a lot of time at the local Labour club or out campaigning/on the hustings.
    Targetting a group is one thing (and, boy, did he target them), but getting them to actually go out and vote is quite another. I have no numbers to back myself up, but I don't think Asian muslims have a big turn out at the polls.
    I don't know what the voter turnout was by demographic, but it would be interesting to see. I wouldn't be surprised if the asian muslim turnout was higher than the average turnout though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    George Galloway being elected in a by-election is as good a barometre of public sentiment as my guffs are at predicting which way the wind is going to blow.

He's a single issue campaigner who picks the constuiencies he fights in very carefully.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Not sure I agree with you. (Entirely subjectively) I'd say Asian Muslims are probably the most obvious ethnic minority in British politics, but I haven't anything statistical to back that up.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Could be seen as voting against the current political system in general?

Conservatives - not voting for them.
    Lib Dems - same as voting for the Conservatives.
    Labour - increasingly irrelevant, not voting for them either.
    Respect - they're not one of the main parties and I've vaguely heard of the candidate, they'll do.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    In a largely Muslim community the party that
    a)invaded Iraq and then lied about the reason
    b)had a leader who was investing heavily in oil shares
    was probably not going to do well.

Cons - no chance
    Libs - shot their bolt - now not only a minority party but a minority party which has sold out for a taste of power

So where else do you go ?
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Greg T wrote:
    motdoc wrote:

By people already on the left . . . When the left moves left they become unelectable . . .

628.jpg

Until the Falklands caper, this man was well ahead in the polls, and the Tories were heading for a trouncing. Even at the election, Labour policies polled better, but Thatcher was doing her Churchill impression, which trumped that.
    Riding on 531