Strava problems

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Those of you who use Strava.

Do you notice a difference in the time taken for a ride between GPS and phone?

The other day I did a 61 mile ride, and my GPS had it down as around 3 hours and 6 minutes, yet when I uploaded it to Strava, it was recorded as 3 hours 24? Why?

Also anyone experience problems with the recording of rides by phone? It's estimating my rides at like 25mph average some of the shorter ones and rekons I'm doing some segments at 49mph, there does not seem to be anyway to flag recording for the segments to get them deleted??

I don't know if my Garmin is faulty but most of the time, someone does an 18 avg ride on Garmin, it's still 18 avg in Strava world, yet all mine get lowered??

I notice very often, nearly every ride when I uploade to Garmin Connect, it's all the same except there is a long straight line where it's not recorded the route properly? Could this be the cause?

It's annoying using the phone because it's mega inaccurate for some odd reason, If I want to know what speed I've done for a segment, I want to know the actual speed, not some fake speed that makes me look like Mr Cavendish sprinting through Withington

Cheers.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Have you got auto stop switched off, and it set to include zeros?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willhub
    edited March 2012
    On my Garmin it auto stops at like 3mph I think.

Can't see that making the difference between 17.7 and 19.8 mph over a 60 mile ride?

I rarely coast at such slow speeds I usually just slam on and accelerate.

As for Strava app on phone it has no options for that, apparently it "calculates differently" so it works out moving and total time.

I just hope my phone GPS ain't dodgy (I have HTC Sensation)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The reason is to do with auto-pause on the garmin. And how that is treated, you'll see someone who doesn't use auto-pause on their garmin will have the same behaviour as you on your phone.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Isn't one measurement total time and the other total moving time?
  • willhub
    As far as I'm aware, the 17.7 on Strava and the 19.8 on Garmin are both moving time, I don't turn auto pause off because if I had a choice I'd not stop and stopping disrupts my rythem anyway, so I see no point in turning auto pause off as if there was no traffic lights and auto pause was off I'd go faster anyway as would most people.
  • willhub
    jibberjim wrote:
    The reason is to do with auto-pause on the garmin. And how that is treated, you'll see someone who doesn't use auto-pause on their garmin will have the same behaviour as you on your phone.

Well my phone is just bonkers, it's thinking I'm doing some rides average 27mph and sprinting like Cavendish?

Does placing GPS in a jersey pocket impair signal a lot?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    willhub wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, the 17.7 on Strava and the 19.8 on Garmin are both moving time, I don't turn auto pause off because if I had a choice I'd not stop and stopping disrupts my rythem anyway, so I see no point in turning auto pause off as if there was no traffic lights and auto pause was off I'd go faster anyway as would most people.

Just turn it off and try it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willhub
    If I turned it off it'd have me as averaging like 9mph, the elapsed time of the ride as something like 7 hours on the Garmin as I was faffing around in a layby for about 30 minutes then spent about 4 hours sitting drinking tea before a 6 miles ride back to flat.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    willhub wrote:
    If I turned it off it'd have me as averaging like 9mph, the elapsed time of the ride as something like 7 hours on the Garmin as I was faffing around in a layby for about 30 minutes then spent about 4 hours sitting drinking tea before a 6 miles ride back to flat.
    Turn off Auto Pause and when you get to your lay-by press the "Stop" button. Press "Start" again when you have finished your 30 minute faffing then press "Stop" again when you start your 4 hour cup of tea. Don't forget to press "Start" again when you set off and "Stop" again when you arrive at the flat. :roll:

Also don't forget to press and hold the "Reset" button when you get to the flat to record the trip and reset the counters before the next trip.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I have no problems with strava -> it probably depends on the model of phone and the quality of GPS chipset in that phone.

I've got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and although its supposed to have issues with strava for some, mine works great so i can't complain.

(i've also just got 2nd on the segment i was targeting today... if i hadn't got that i probably wouldn't be so happy with strava!)