Gloves

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
The pads on my cycling gloves tend to lose their "squidg" after a few hundred miles. Is this normal? Can anyone recommend a pair likely to have a longer life. I'm not putting weight on the bars, but I do sweat a lot so they end up getting washed a fair bit.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    The Gore gloves seem good to me - but my fav's are the BG Specialized gel mits
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    These: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-retro-tech-short-finger-cycling-glove-2012/?dest=1&curr=gbp&lang=en&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk

Padding is good, they're comfortable, seem to last ages and more importantly, are white leather :D
    (They don't get particularly hot in the summer either, dispite being leather)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Spesh BG comp mitts are 11 quid delivered at evans at the moment (if you have small hands - I like a tight fit)
  • +1 BG Specialized gel mits
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    coriordan wrote:
    Spesh BG comp mitts are 11 quid delivered at evans at the moment (if you have small hands - I like a tight fit)

Thanks, but they seem to be £17.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    edited March 2012
    coriordan wrote:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... t-ec028031
    Not many sizes left now!

I bought a pair of these last week for £9.99 normally I would buy large but I took a chance on a medium. I'm glad I did nice snug fit and you forget you have them on they are so comfortable.
  • http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-FS260-Ae ... =Froogle02

expensive - yes; comfortable - YES!' durable - well mine are a year old and look ok.
  • Anonymous
    BG comp

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec029435

I got blue as it matches my bike.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    The pads on my cycling gloves tend to lose their "squidg" after a few hundred miles. Is this normal? Can anyone recommend a pair likely to have a longer life. I'm not putting weight on the bars, but I do sweat a lot so they end up getting washed a fair bit.

I don't understand this 'not putting weight on the bars' bit. Do you mean you are not putting any weight or not putting all your weight? 'cos not putting any weight on the bars would cause steering problems.

I wash my gloves every few weeks, use them for road and mtb. had to wash them last week as I fell in mud up to my elbow. and I sweat a lot too. My gloves (spesh bg or anything I can get once the old ones break too much), usually last 18 months to 2 years.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Another Specialized BG user here. Mine are a couple of years old now and are still comfortable. They start stinking quite quickly though; I wash them by hand once a week.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Anonymous
    I don't understand this 'not putting weight on the bars' bit. Do you mean you are not putting any weight or not putting all your weight? 'cos not putting any weight on the bars would cause steering problems.

He means your setup on the bike - are you putting all your weight through your bum, with your hands just resting on the bars for control, or is your bum quite high up compared to your hands, with loads of pressure on your hands and your hands/shoulders bearing lots of your weight?
    I would assume that the ideal mix is roughly 40:60 with 60% of your weight on your bum, and the rest through your hands/arms/shoulders. This way your bum doesn't get knackered, and also, you dont end up with sore arms/shoulders/back (I am completely guessing here, I actually have no idea, i've never really thought about it)

I have quite soft bartape (the spesh corked stuff), and quite happy without padded gloves on it (the planet-x winters were nice for me) but the BG mitts are always nice too. Had them for a few months, starting to go at the seams. Not sure how long they're meant to last, but I like the size 's' and at 11 quid delivered (see my other link above) they are pretty good. The altura ones look very nice and can be head for 15 and 20 quid (depending on the model) from London Bike Workshop on St John's Hill. Very, very nice folk there.