Rim cracked - will it survive a race?

medoramas
medoramas Posts: 202
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

My wheels are Mavic XC717 on Deore LX hubs. They are non-disc ones (the bike is an old school Marin IFT '93, pre-disc era...). Few days ago I had a nasty (for the wheel) accident - an 80mm screw punctured it when I was doing about 25 mph on tarmac. The tyre got flat instantly - the screw got into it quite deep, it stayed there until I managed to stop. You can imagine it took a while... So having the screw between the rim and the road couldn't end up any good. The rim cracked, as you can see on the pics: it's near the valve hole (where the f***n' screw was...), cracked inside and on one outside wall (braking surface).

IMG_20120329_212855.jpg
IMG_20120329_212911.jpg

It's no doubt the rim transplant needs to take place. But I'm racing on Sunday, not enough time (and cash at the moment...) to do anything about it.

I've got two options: use a cheap and heavy spare wheel I've got somewhere around (it's the £29.99 wheel from eBay, you know...) or risk and use the 717 for the event (lowering the brake pad so it attacks the rim below the crack). What do you think? Would the wheel survive an XC race?

Thanks...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not use it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    not worth the risk in my opinion. you can finish on a heavier wheel so stand a chance of a good placing.

you might be in hospital with a cracked one.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    Looks quite extensive, I wouldn't use it personally.

Could you borrow a wheel off someone for the race? If you order a new rim through your LBS and pay them up front to swap it they might lend you another one until it's ready.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Bin the rim - it's goosed. Lowering the brake pad to clear the crack could be suicidal too - just t'ain't worth the risk.

Going to be a case of man-up and use the cheapo share wheel.

Hope you have better luck at the race!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • medoramas
    Everyone else uses disc brakes around here, it's just me who still rides 20 years behind (not to mention 0 suspension)... ;)

I've fitted the cheap one. Doesn't look too bad, I only hope it will take the beating (it's a single-walled rim, no chambers and stuff), but seems to be quite strong: 36 spokes, almost 2x wider than 717. Just a bit heavier, but hack that - you're right: I'll better enjoy riding, than waiting for the hospitalization...

BTW, any idea how much does it usually cost to replace the rim?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    It will cost the price of a rim + spokes (maybe) + about £20. The spokes is a maybe as they might be ok to reuse, maybe not.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Get a matching rim and you won't need new spokes. Tape new rim to old and swap spokes across one by one (having taken tension out of them all before). You'll need new nipples, then just get a shop to do the final true.

I'd not ride that if you paid me.
  • medoramas
    njee20 wrote:
    Get a matching rim and you won't need new spokes. Tape new rim to old and swap spokes across one by one (having taken tension out of them all before). You'll need new nipples, then just get a shop to do the final true.

I'd not ride that if you paid me.

OK, to match the rim is it just the ETRTO size I need? I've looked on Mavic's website, maybe I'd get something more sturdy on the back...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd ride it (slowly and not far) if you paid me, but not in a race I was trying in!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    medoramas wrote:
    OK, to match the rim is it just the ETRTO size I need? I've looked on Mavic's website, maybe I'd get something more sturdy on the back...

Why not get another XC717?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3439
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you match the ERD number (ETRTO's about tyre standardisation, 26" rims will be 559mm) you won't need new spokes, but as above, I'd just get another XC717.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Depends on how much you really hate your teeth and want new ones.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • pylwagl
    pylwagl Posts: 35
    This is what happens next.

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

I'd bin it if I were you

HTH

Stu