Cyclocross or road bike?

Samerics
Samerics Posts: 14
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm a born again biker who cycled as a skinny fit bloke until about 7 years ago. I have a Marin Pine Mountain MTB and a 1990's Giant Cadex that is far too long and the gearing is prehistoric. I've started again, a few stone heavier and much less flexible, and am wondering whether to go for a Marin Lombard, ie 26lb plus cyclocross/fast commuter, or a 19lb Gary Fisher Ion Super, which can easily be set up to be relatively upright and comfortable. Will I notice much difference between the bikes? Will the lower weight and snappier acceleration make a significant difference, or will I be better off with bigger tyres and not notice the extra weight, considering my current state of unfitness? I've used my mountain bike over the winter to get myself back to a base level

Comments

• tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I'm coming at this from the mountain bike rider side of things.

Why not get better mountain bike?

I have had a road bike for the past 5 years. I got my lastest one a couple of years ago. Since I got the new one I've not used it a great deal. I find it a very hard unforgiving ride compared to my mountain bikes.

I wish that I had gone for a cyclocross bike rather than my road bike. I think that a cyclocross bike will be a bit more forgiving, have better brakes and you've got the scope to do some light off road with it. I only tend to use if for short distances under 50 miles and I'm not that bothered about speed.

26lb for a cyclocross bike seems heavy to me. Are you sure on that weight?

I think we've come to the end of the cyclocross season so I wonder if there are any deals going on last years stock.

What sort of distances and riding do you think you'll be doing?
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    If you're only going to have one bike of the (potentially) road going variety then a 'cross style bike is a great option. Fit big tyres and mudguards very easily for winter, fit a rack for light touring or commuting, and yet still have the benefit of drop bars for comfort and a comparatively light bike that you can fit skinny wheels/tyres to.
  • Samerics
    Interesting. I'm going on the Toscana weighing 25lbs, and I ride a 58, so I guessed the weight. I prefer drops, but my previous experience of my old road bike in the later years of cycling was that it kicked the crap out of me, but I know that bikes are more forgiving these days, have higher front ends and are generally more compliant. I think the main thing is, will 6lbs of weight on the bike make that much difference on the climbs? I live around Leeds, and it is full of the damned things, and at 6ft 2in, big framed and 240lbs, I feel them!! I won't always be this weight, but I have to be realistic and say that I don't have the time to be a beanpole again!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Samerics wrote:
    Interesting. I'm going on the Toscana weighing 25lbs, and I ride a 58, so I guessed the weight. I prefer drops, but my previous experience of my old road bike in the later years of cycling was that it kicked the crap out of me, but I know that bikes are more forgiving these days, have higher front ends and are generally more compliant. I think the main thing is, will 6lbs of weight on the bike make that much difference on the climbs? I live around Leeds, and it is full of the damned things, and at 6ft 2in, big framed and 240lbs, I feel them!! I won't always be this weight, but I have to be realistic and say that I don't have the time to be a beanpole again!

It depends... it's not the 3 Kg... it's more the suspension fork, the chubby tyres... a MTB is bound to be a pretty slow, cumbersome machine that needs a triple chainset to go up a climb.
    If you ride mostly on roads, I would consider a cyclocross bike... these days they're nearly as fast as road bikes, but way more robust... just fit some skinny 23 or 25 mm tyres for road use.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Samerics
    Marin it is, good deal on it, comfy, feels a lot faster than my mtb, cheers guys, I'll buy it later on today!