British Cycling - cycling safety - taking the lane

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Dont think this has been posted yet, apologies if it has...

Part 1 of a three part guide to modern cycling safety....

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/travel ... ing-pt-1-0
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• Good stuff. Can never be posted too much imo.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    If only more drivers were aware of it and the rights we have over the space on the road.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Paul E wrote:
    If only more drivers were aware of it and the rights we have over the space on the road.

+1

However, the highway code doesn't make it clear that you can ride primary. A lot of drivers have no concept of that and assume (wrongly) that the highway code says that you should be on the left (which it doesn't)

Would be nice if the highway code explicitly said that cyclists might be riding primary.
  • I reckon that someone could do a decent ad campaign for the back of buses. Something long the lines of:

"The Highway Code says that cyclists can use this part of the lane"

and then an arrow or bracket pointing to the entire width of the lane.
  • I reckon that someone could do a decent ad campaign for the back of buses. Something long the lines of:

Rather depressingly, I saw my first cycling related ad on the back of a bus yesterday; it was advising cyclists that they had to stop at red lights.

Rather depressingly, I saw my first cycling related ad on the back of a bus yesterday; it was advising cyclists that they had to stop at red lights.

Just to re-visit this, it turns out that Lothian Buses are running two different ads on the back of their buses, the one above telling cyclists to stop at red-lights seems to account for 30% of them, the other 70% is telling motorists to stay out of the ASL.

We love Lothian Buses up here, you know.