Cyclocross or road bike?

Samerics
Samerics Posts: 14
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm a born again biker who cycled as a skinny fit bloke until about 7 years ago. I have a Marin Pine Mountain MTB and a 1990's Giant Cadex that is far too long and the gearing is prehistoric. I've started again, a few stone heavier and much less flexible, and am wondering whether to go for a Marin Lombard, ie 26lb plus cyclocross/fast commuter, or a 19lb Gary Fisher Ion Super, which can easily be set up to be relatively upright and comfortable. Will I notice much difference between the bikes? Will the lower weight and snappier acceleration make a significant difference, or will I be better off with bigger tyres and not notice the extra weight, considering my current state of unfitness? I've used my mountain bike over the winter to get myself back to a base level.

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    a cyclocross with disk brakes. You don't need a racing style bike if you intend to make it more upright.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is the Marin really 26lb ?

My cross bike holds its own on the road against the likes of cervelos and S works etc. it may be slightly heavier than them but it's not obese.

I'd look at other x bikes. I have a Planet X one that I'm really pleased with.
  • Samerics
    I think it is when you stick spd's on it. I rode it for five minutes and it felt great, but, considering my weight and the hilly terrain, I need as much help as I can get!
  • I asked this question a couple of months ago....

Depends what you intentions are with the bike, i finally excepted I was done with going off road so went for a road bike, it absoloutely flies along which I love. I think if youve still got a mtb to hand for if you did fancy heading off road then a road bike is the way to go.
  • You can't beat the versatality of a x-bike, especially when the weather turns during the winter. If I could only own one bike, it would be a x-bike in a heartbeat. Great fun off road, and you can run slick tyres for the tarmac.
  • Samerics
    Sod it, I'll get the Marin, and if I ever get fit enough in the future I'll get a dedicated road bike. At the moment it still hurts and I need as much encouragement as I can get without my nether regions being battered into a premature death! I can't see the extra weight of the bike being a major factor, its the weight around my waist i have to worry about! Cheers :-)