New bike ????

fatboy gonna get slim
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Help needed I have £2000 to spend on a new bike ? I currently ride a trek 2.1 2010 bike and look to use this to commute and ride in the winter . My options trek 5.2 2011 , caad10 ultregra and wheel upgrade or canyon force al frame .I don't race and intend use the bike for fitness riding 20 to 75 mile rides .any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Not really much to split the Caad10 and Canyon frames, think i'd go for Force/ Elites over Ultegra/ RS80's or similar though.
    Canyon after sales could be an issue though.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Read the CAAD 10 review - then buy it, simples!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kiwi_rich
    Kiwi_rich Posts: 68
    Cycling Plus's last issue did a review of best bikes in £2000 category - most of them have been put on the site
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    I too am currently looking for a new bike and spotted this one :
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ral ... e-ec028454
    Now I know it is not a fashionable name any more but the spec of the bike looks excellent value for money and is priced about the same as a CAAD 10 but has better components (IMO).
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I would say it depends how well you get on with the Trek madone geometry? - if the 2.1 works well for you then the 5.2 will fit you well too.

The Caad10 with a new wheelset is going to ride very nicely though! i don't envy having to choose between them.
  • smidsy
    rando wrote:
    Now I know it is not a fashionable name any more but the spec of the bike looks excellent value for money and is priced about the same as a CAAD 10 but has better components (IMO).

But even with the reduction it is £450 - £500 more than a CAAD10 can be had for so it will have better stuff.

The frame and forks are the critical items and the CAAD takes some beating on that score.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rando
    smidsy wrote:
    rando wrote:

But even with the reduction it is £450 - £500 more than a CAAD10 can be had for so it will have better stuff.

The frame and forks are the critical items and the CAAD takes some beating on that score.

Exactly where is the CAAD 10 available for £900. Cheapest I can find is about £1300.
    Raleigh Avanti is £1399 from Evans so to get a CAAD 10 for £450-500 less would be a bargain).
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 check out this months C+ - plenty of candidates at that price point.

I must admit, the winner (Focus Izalco) is a handsome beast in the flesh. Personally, I'd go carbon at £2k. The CAAD10 is a good frame - I bought one recently for a mate and it's tidy but, for me, carbon is the way to go for a performance bike and even if the spec is lower - for example 105 on the Giant TCR advanced - you can always upgrade when stuff wears out.

The Trek looks a good bike but I can never get enthuisatic over Treks myself.

So my shortlist would be the Giant TCR, Focus Izalco, Cube Agree and maybe a Canyon/Rose for sheer value.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • smidsy
    [/quote] But even with the reduction it is £450 - £500 more than a CAAD10 can be had for so it will have better stuff.

The frame and forks are the critical items and the CAAD takes some beating on that score.[/quote]

Exactly where is the CAAD 10 available for £900. Cheapest I can find is about £1300.
    Raleigh Avanti is £1399 from Evans so to get a CAAD 10 for £450-500 less would be a bargain).[/quote]

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes- ... 011-p88427
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    places were selling off 2011 Caad 10s for £950ish but they're all gone now, from what I've seen. You won't get a discounted 2012 model, unless you know the shop owner 8)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rando
    smidsy wrote:

The frame and forks are the critical items and the CAAD takes some beating on that score.[/quote]

Raleigh Avanti is £1399 from Evans so to get a CAAD 10 for £450-500 less would be a bargain).[/quote]

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes- ... 011-p88427[/quote]

The £925 is last years model which is fair enough but they are totally out of stock so not available at all for £900'ish which still makes that Raleigh good value with better components that a CAAD 10 2012 model but granted they are totally different frames and the CAAD has a well respected pedigree.
  • fatboy gonna get slim
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the replys
  • I can get the trek for 1900,the caad ultra would be 1400 leaving 600 budget for wheels , I am a bit edgy on the canyon as for fitting, the other bike was a dura ace caad 10 but I keep going back to the ultra with wheel upgrade . Have checked out the bike radar test but I would prefer last years model with upgrade ???
  • Thanks for the reply I am a 54cm frame if any one can suggest any deals ?
  • Sgt_Pepper
    Sgt_Pepper Posts: 172
    http://www.bowlandoutdoors.com/outdoor- ... pact-.html

Give them a ring I'd bet you could knock them down from that price now.
  • have taken the plunge on a caad 10 ultegra and some zipp 404 clinchers(s/h) have slightly gone over my budget but cant wait till next week to have it on the road !!
  • smidsy
    If you hate it let me know and I'll have it ;off you -)
    Yellow is the new Black.