Carrying fluids

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I know that it is important to stay hydrated whilst out cycling but how does everyone else carry their water around on the go?
I know you can attach water bottle holders onto the frame of your bike but these only carry (to my knowledge) bottles up to 500ml. I know that to stay healthy whilst out on a ride you need to be taking in up to 2 liters but how do I carry this around?
I try not to carry a bag on my back anytime I go out on my bike because it sometimes hurts my upper back/lower neck whilst out for a long time.
Any ideas?
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I have one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/science-in-spor ... er-bottle/

Easily fits inside the bottle cage. And most bikes have mounts for 2 cages so that's 1600ml.

Just bang another bottle in your back pocket if you really need one.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have a Camelbak - holds 2 litres but dont tend to take it on my road bike rides. Not really heavy on your back. Also have a 900ml bottle I bought on Saturday which sits fine in a standard cage.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    I can fit 1L bottles in a standard bottle cage (metal and plastic) no problem, and have 2 cages. I find the larger bottles easier to get in and out while riding as it's not as far to reach down.

I've got a Camelback but I've never really got on with it, always seems to be more difficult to use and store but that might just be me.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Just stop en-route and refill or buy some water?
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    How far are you riding to have to carry 2 litres of liquid ? 4 x500ml bottles should last a fair few miles.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I use 2x Tacx Shiva 750ml bottles -> this should last you for a decent amount of time.. i probably went through ~3/4 of that riding in 20c for 2 3/4 hours on Wednesday Afternoon. (pro tip.. have a glass of water before you set off)

You can go up to 1l bottles in standard cages unless you have an extremely small frame.

If you're really wanting to weigh the bike down.. there are other options though->

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/minoura-sbh-300-dual-bottle-cage-bracket/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-bottle-cage-saddle-mount/
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    when touring we take 2 1l bottles each in standard alloy cages. most bottles have the same circumference, but are just taller as they get more volume. the only problem is when you have a small frame and it is difficult to fit tall bottles into the cage.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    It depends on how far you are going and how much you think you will need. I have two bottles, a 750ml and an 800, and have done an 80+ mile sportive on that. On a longer one they had water barrels and volunteers filling bottles - so a couple of minutes stop saw me on my way again with a refilled bottle. On a two day trip I stopped at a shop, bought 2 litres of water, drank some of it and filled my bottles with the rest.

It would be very rare - less than 5 or 6 times a year - that my bottles wouldn't be enough. As you increase your miles you will begin to work out for yourself what you need, rather than what people tell you you should take.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Buy more water as and when you need it rather than worry about carrying more than two bottles.

(unless like me you cycle in 40c then you take a tea bag and drop it in the bottle just before the water boils!) :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    2litres of water is a fair amount. There's an old guy who comes on our club runs who never carries water and he copes just fine. More people die of taking too much in than too little.

I can run a warm marathon on a few sips of water. If you start at normal levels of hydration you don't need a huge amount of water.

I believe that study that says just 2% of fluid loss leads to lack of performance was sponsored by an energy drinks manufacturer. Spooky eh ?
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    If you run out you can always ask someone in their garden if they would kindly fill your bottle :-)
    It worked for me last weekend.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    2litres of water is a fair amount. There's an old guy who comes on our club runs who never carries water and he copes just fine. More people die of taking too much in than too little.

I can run a warm marathon on a few sips of water. If you start at normal levels of hydration you don't need a huge amount of water.

I believe that study that says just 2% of fluid loss leads to lack of performance was sponsored by an energy drinks manufacturer. Spooky eh ?

Have to admit, I can only recall one trip last year where I used more than two bottles worth of water (a hot, flat 100 mile ride into a headwind...). Even on rides like the Fred Whitton, I doubt that the feed station refills plus what I'd already drunk would have been more than I was carrying to start with.

But then a mate of mine, in cool conditions, on a mostly downhill leg of 20 miles had already used up his one bottle and was gasping for water - I hadn't started mine. I made him buy a second cage and bottle at the bike shop in Tadcaster! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Everyone is different...

I did the LVIS 214km last weekend and went through 6 x 750ml and was well hydrated at the start, and I wasn't pushing hard. At the end of the ride, I was a little dehydrated (I didn't pee for the last 50 miles). Probably was slightly overdressed for the ride, but the day started cold and warmed p throughout the day.
    For a very hard gym session, I can loose over 1L per hour (I've seen 2L loss in 1.5 hrs).... but there is no cooling in the gym like on the bike.

Ignore the people who say don't drink.... I've done 8hr and 12hr races on the MTB, where there is a very fine line between drinking too much (loosing time because you have to stop to pee), compared to drinking too little and ending up in a right old state mid race.
    The only thing I can recommend is trying to balance the above when it's not important, so you figure out the feeling of dehydration before it's too late... the same goes for if you loose a load of fluids through sweat, when you need to top up on electrolytes.
    Simon
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't think anyone is saying don't drink at all.

And your 133 miler will be a long way from the rides that the OP is doing - he's a schoolboy ? (although even when i was a schoolboy and rode 140miles one day - I don't recall going through 4.5 litres of water - we only had 500ml bottles in those days)

For most rides 2x 750ml bottles should be enough - and if you find yourself needing more - if it turns out really hot - there's usually a garage or village shop that you can nip into and keep an eye on the bike at the same time.

I've also cadged water off a nice old lady watering her garden on a rare hot day.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Generally I find if I'm riding far enough to use more than 2x750ml bottles then I'll be stopping off for something to eat so get the bottles filled then.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    As others have said no two people are the same and so your needs will be different and likely to change over time. What I would say is if you start to rely on large amounts of fluids and you run low the mental anguish and distraction will affect your riding. I race 10TTs without fluids although I make sure I'm well hydrated before hand and only need to take 750mls with me on rides up to 50miles, even then I find I don't always drink it all.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    cougie wrote:
    I don't think anyone is saying don't drink at all.

And your 133 miler will be a long way from the rides that the OP is doing - he's a schoolboy ? (although even when i was a schoolboy and rode 140miles one day - I don't recall going through 4.5 litres of water - we only had 500ml bottles in those days)

For most rides 2x 750ml bottles should be enough - and if you find yourself needing more - if it turns out really hot - there's usually a garage or village shop that you can nip into and keep an eye on the bike at the same time.

I've also cadged water off a nice old lady watering her garden on a rare hot day.

Sorry you are right.... didn't read the posts properly :oops:

Yes for a 2 hr ride, two 750ml bottles should be more than enough in normal heat.. And as you say, you could probably get away with no water for a 2hr ride as long as you were fully hydrated when you left (and hydrated when you returned).. but for longer rides, it's useful to know your rough water loss depending on effort/temperature etc
    Simon
  • humpyg
    humpyg Posts: 50
    I carry 1 or 2 Camelbak Podium 750ml bottles. If I'm doing a sportive, long distance etc then I may put another bottle in my jersey pocket, but would aim to top up at a cafe/shop etc.
    Generally up to 2 hours, I'd fill with water, otherwise combinations of water/electrolyte/energy drink.