Giant Reign reviews( good and bad please)

A planty
A planty Posts: 47
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I been looking at this bike for awhile now and would like to get some others peoples thoughts, are they a good bike for the money, do they ride well, do they handle downhill,and who owns one ?????????>

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Brilliant!!

I bought my frame around a year ago and it is fantastic, goes up well and down even better, odviously mine is customised as it was a frame and shock only but it really does inspire hard riding.

Highly recommended.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • A planty
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Brilliant!!

I bought my frame around a year ago and it is fantastic, goes up well and down even better, odviously mine is customised as it was a frame and shock only but it really does inspire hard riding.

Highly recommended.
    think ive seen it, Are you the guy thats re-painted it?
    What would you recommend in the range as the prices are quite spread. i'm unsure about whether to get a used frame and build or buy new ?In the range are the frames all the same with just different components
  • 1mancity2
    Thats the one!

I went down the frame route as I wanted to build to my spec, better value buying new (full bike) unless you have parts already,(frame only) the frames are the same, shocks are different as are components on full bikes.

I got mine with shock for 400 of flebay
  • A planty
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Thats the one!

I went down the frame route as I wanted to build to my spec, better value buying new (full bike) unless you have parts already,(frame only) the frames are the same, shocks are different as are components on full bikes.

I got mine with shock for 400 of flebay
    i've just been browsing pinkbike and cant make my mind up whether i like the older frames more than the newer ones, what year was yours bud ? the idea of building my own bike up is very appealing and probably easier to swindle the wife buy in bits here and there lol but also to just ride a spanking new one out the shop would also be satifying
  • 1mancity2
    Mines a 2010 frame, I prefer the older frame.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got a Reign X, similar but with more travel & a coil shock. I test rode a 2011 Reign 2 and it's a great bike, a better cross country / trail bike than mine but still rides downhill very well.
    I have owned a 2010 Trance X & now the 2011 Reign X and both are well built, ride extremely well & even the Reign X climbs very well for a bike with 170mm of travel.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I had one in 2007 and didn't like it. The top tube was too short for all day stuff, the stem was too long for this type of bike and I didn't like the fact it had more rear travel than front. The frame was well made however. Obviously that was a few years ago but I much prefer other brands for FS.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    2007 was the old style frame which was completely different to the new frame. It has a longer top tube & shorter stem.
    Giant's Meastro suspension is excellent. It pedals extremely well, is plush & feels bottomless. It takes square edge hits better than any other rear suspension system I have ridden. You can just plough through anything.
    Not sure why more rear travel than front is a problem. My Reign X has 160mm front / 170mm rear & I never notice anything wrong with that.
    Most DH bikes have 210mm - 250mm rear travel & only 200mm front.
  • 1mancity2
    Yep the 2007 frame had the brace at the seattube, they were short tbh but the newer frames are spot on.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    the 2008 and on frames are amazing , easily the best virtual pivot design on the market, very light for a 6 incher too .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.