Best Road Tyre Under £22

Ben95
Ben95 Posts: 9
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm going to buy some new tyres, and I'm looking for the best tyre I can get for under £22. The size I need is 700 x 25c, and they'll be used for roads in good weather (I'll change back to my 35mm in worse weather). I'm looking for a tyre with good puncture protection, long life, and low rolling resistance. The best I've found up to now is Continental Ultra Gatorskins for £21.56 and Michelin Pro 3 Race for £20. Are there any other good tyres to choose from? And do you know of any good sites for reduced price tyres?

cheers,
Ben :D

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I've seem Ultremo's for £20 recently
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Look no further than the tyres below i bought some a while back and are very good with no problems..

2x Schwalbe Blizzards £14.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Schwalbe-B ... 7b6954921f
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    rob21 wrote:
    Look no further than the tyres below i bought some a while back and are very good with no problems..

2x Schwalbe Blizzards £14.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Schwalbe-B ... 7b6954921f
    +1
    I ran gator skins and although they are a bit better for rolling resitance the LBS own racer put me onto blizzards as an alternative and for the money they are very good.
    I ran gators for over 2 years and personally i would put them as a fast winter tyre but the hype of their protection is a bit overated and in the wet they can be a bit slippy.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Ben95
    I'm quite tempted to buy the blizzards now, although I can't find them as cheap as yours. I did find some quite cheap, but the whole of the top of the tyre is coloured, compared to other ones where there is a black strip along the top. Are these an older model or something. :D
  • Ben95
    I'm thinking of just getting some really cheap tyres like the vittoria rubinos or something similar @ around £11. Would you say these are an ok tyre, or are there any other ones that are better for a similar price?
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I've used those on 3 of my bikes and they are a lot better than all of these so called "puncture resistant" tyres like Armadillos and Gatorskins. They are also lighter, cheaper, corner well and good in the wet.

I've gone a full Winter and done over 2000 miles commuting with only one puncture on the front which turned out to be a slice of very thin glass that had worked itself through and chaffed the innertube. A few guys at work who have rode less than half of the miles I've done on those expensive belted tyres have complained too much about punctures.

I have however inspected the rear recently and it's still probably got 500 miles left in it but there are quite a few large slices in some areas. I suppose that would occur with any tyre used to commute over 2000 miles through the city.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Tyre threads are quite amusing. It makes me wonder if there is any actual difference at all (besides weight) in any of the brands mooted. Personally, I can't tell.

I'm currently using the Blizzard sport but only because they were 7.99 a pair (or something stupid) a while back. They're fairly light and I've had no probs with them. I assumed when I bought them that they were the dirtiest, cheapest, crap tyres available so it interests me now to here they are held in some regard by some people.

Some brand or other is always on a daft offer from one of the online retailers, some people will say they're rubbish, some will swear by them.

In short, who knows????
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Just got a pair of Michelin carbon kyrlions in 700x25 from Parker International at 22.95 each with free delivery. Cycling Plus mag voted them best training tyre a couple on months ago, for balance between weight, speed and puncture protection. Will be interesting to see how they shape up...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Ben95
    I've ordered some Vittoria Rubinos for £10.50 each, so if they're not great I won't be too disappointed. :D