how do you drive a TDCi?

124»

Comments

• plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Had a 1.6 (110hp) tdci Focus automatic. Lots of motorway at 75mph ish.
    44mpg over 40k miles.
    Cracking car.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    bobpzero wrote:
    ecomax-diesel.jpg
    this might help

does it make cups of tea?
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    I'd be happy with 30mpg :(
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    So anyway, since I last posted in here I've put about 1500 miles on the 2.2 TDCI Mondeo, all good... But the economy's all over the place. I went to fort william twice this month and used the exact same route. First time, I averaged 42mpg on the way up and 50mpg home- that was with some pretty spirited driving especially on the way up though. On the way up the second time I decided to take things easy, and just by being more gentle and relaxed and obeying all the limits got 59.9mpg on the way up and 53mph on the way back (more traffic and stops coming home). I didn't have to make many sacrifices though to get the economy, and there's definately more there if you drive purely for economy.

So quite different from my Focus where driving style didn't seem so important, but still gives decent mpg without having to drive purely for mpg.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Christ, getting 60 is impressive. It's good to know it can be done! I've just driven up to Fort William (focus 1.6 90bhp) and got 54mpg, 51mpg whilst touring around the Isle of Mull, and 44mpg on the return leg home :shock: All with a roof box and quite a bit of gear in the back.
  • Northwind
    To be fair, that's trip-computer mpg so might be total lies. I was well annoyed not to get the 60 though, the last 5 miles or so was done on vapours but still not enough.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I drove up to Glentress a few weeks back, 600 mile round trip. On the motorway journey up there I averaged ~65mpg, once I hit the country roads that dropped but I think I arrived at GT with the avg for the trip still over 60. That's in a 1.8L 115 TDCI Focus. With me, a bike and a bootfull of crap. Once I was past Manchester and onto clear motorway set the cruise control to 70 and didn't slow down until I reached Scotland.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
    360 Posts: 5,940
    How many miles do you do a year?

A 5mpg over 10,000 miles is about 100 quid. I'd suggest you'd be better off taking up a paper round than tracking miles and driving around like a granny.
  • Northwind
    Think of the children 360

No, wait... Stop thinking about children.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Well, the power and fuel consumption has come to an interesting, and expensive climax. First, I discovered the airfeed pipe to the turbo was cracked and spitting air and oil everywhere. That was about 8 months ago I suppose. Then recently the turbo blew because the oil feed pipe was blocked. £800 quid later, and a trip to London saw it blow again! A full strip down of the engine and £1000 later has discovered one of the injectors was blowing and all four was so crudded up with carbon that none of them were working efficiently. The mechanic doens't think the car has been clocked, it's more likely it's never been serviced! I picked it up at 90k miles and have put getting on for 30k in a year. I had been doing the oil change every 6k miles, and the mechanic suggests now doing it every 3k, which isn't a problem for me.
    The bonus though, is on the drive into work this morning, I couldn't keep the thing under 30! What a beast she is now the engine has had the full colonic irrigation! It might partially be having to drive my Mum's 1.2 Corsa for a month which feels like it's powered by a dead sloth... but let's see if I can get that mpg upto 60 now :)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Yet I'm only getting 53mpg.

Only? I'd be happy with that, my car averages about 30mpg, lol (less when driven enthusiastically).
  • I've got a mondeo 2.0 zetec s tdci, 6 speed, and I get about 52mpg out of mine. On a motorway, on a longish journey, kept at 2000rpm, which equates to 75mph on the speedo, I can get into the high 50's, my record is 59.1 on a journey to Scotland. I still get over 50 even if I cane it, but with the amount of torque you don't need to cane it. One thing you should bear in mind is you need to give it a good thrash every now and again, as it burns all the crap out of the DPF. Otherwise they get choked up. And get a decat pipe if you have a friendly mot tester, you won't believe the difference :D
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike