Newbie in need of help

payspeanuts
payspeanuts Posts: 31
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i've just got back into bikes after quite a few years away, I've just bought a used Charge Blender but having a few issue. My last bike was rigid and had V-brakes so i'm a bit out of touch. I've manged to work out how to fit the front wheel which uses a Maxale. But both wheels when they spin seem to make a grinding sound is this to do with the disk brakes? Also the rear mech seems to change up and down ok but looking at it it looks a little bent in the largest cock it seems quite close to the spokes and in the smallest cog the chain looks like it's really close to the inside of the drop outs.

Any help gratefully received

Comments

• Hello, I'm new as well, the grinding will be your disc brakes. They may need just cleaning, or aligning. Easy to do if I remember correctly you loosen the bolts on the caliper, hold the brake on tight and do the nuts on the caliper up. If you cleaned and straightened the caliper then the disc could be warped!
    Not sure about your rear mech, does the hanger look bent?
  • thanks i'll have a go at doing the brakes tomorrow. Not sure about the hanger, something just doesn't look right,
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some rubbing of the brakes is normal until they have bedded in, all the alignining in the world won't always stop it, you'll find there is negligeable friction.

'Largest fool'? Largest gear I guess, bent which way? In 'large large' (something you should never use) the mech should be pulled right forward - photo's please.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The mech sounds like you need to adjust the H/L screws to prevent it going too far either way. Mechs often look a little wonky, but if it works, don't touch it. Just set the H/L adjustments and hopefully you'll be fine.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Took some pics today
    b196ae182371506.jpg1c6167182371584.jpgb243ee182371718.jpg5c617c182372055.jpg