Sprocket teeth damaged

daysofspeed
daysofspeed Posts: 105
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Got a Spesh Sectuer (triple). Bought online in January.

Noticed tonight that all three rings have worn/broken teeth. Most pointed, a fair few squared off and shorter.

Thoughts?

(apologies if any terminology is just plain wrong & hope the above makes enough sense!).

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    supposed to be like that
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • daysofspeed
    It doesn't seem to be regimented (ie can't spot a pattern). Hence me wondering what was going on. Apologies if I've been super newbie on this one!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As above - the teeth are often shaped on modern cranksets to improve shifting
  • daysofspeed
    I might have been a bit fuzzy - having read back. The teeth are not all the same. A few look different to the rest. I'll try to put a photo online somehow.

Photo:
    http://imgur.com/j41Do
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    They look normal and fairly new for that matter. Go enjoy your bike and in another 6k-8k miles show us a photo again. 8)
  • daysofspeed
    Cheers mate. Since spotted a decent photo of the same shimano triple and the teeth are as suggested all ship shape.

Sorry if I was being dense! (you never know someone else out there might see this and relax!).
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I might have been a bit fuzzy - having read back. The teeth are not all the same. A few look different to the rest. I'll try to put a photo online somehow.

Photo:
    http://imgur.com/j41Do

What are you using as chain lube?
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Got a Spesh Sectuer (triple). Bought online in January.

Noticed tonight that all three rings have worn/broken teeth. Most pointed, a fair few squared off and shorter.

Thoughts?

(apologies if any terminology is just plain wrong & hope the above makes enough sense!).
    Looking at the pic the chain and chain rings look really dry,or have you cleaned them to show the teeth?
  • daysofspeed
    rob21 wrote:
    Looking at the pic the chain and chain rings look really dry,or have you cleaned them to show the teeth?

Nothing. Consider me dumb. Recommend?

I know that'll freak the seasoned riders out - I really am immensely green!
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    chain lube below i use on all my bikes......
    and i use GT85 lube to clean and degrease...

FINISH LINE TEFLON PLUS DRY CHAIN LUBE 240ML / 8 OZ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320823511896? ... 1423.l2649
  • daysofspeed
    Thanks Rob. Bagged some GT85 for £2.50 in Halfrauds and grabbed a Muc Off C3 Ceramic Lube . Better than what I was using whatever the outcome!
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Sounds like your on the right track. Best practice is to keep a 'chain rag' and after each ride spray a small bit of GT85 onto the rag and run your chain through it backwards, re-lube chain then wipe again. That way your chain stays clean (The GT85 just cleans of surface muck, then wipe after as any excess will attract dirt) and well lubed. As a bonus it will stay so clean and shiny that it wont mark your leg/car etc.

Its a good habit to get into giving your bike some TLC even if its just a wipe over with some GT85 to clean it up (often thought of as bike aftershave!) as it makes you look at each part for a few secs - you will notice anything untoward early in time to do something about it.