Giant Defy 1 2012 compared to carrera tdf

elbows
elbows Posts: 11
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I have been cycling for about 6 months on my Carrera tdf bike. I have been riding for fun and to exercise for the past 6 months and my fitness has improved quite a lot.
i have ordered a Giant Defy 1 which should be available in May. What should i expect with the giant compared to the Defy?
The Carrera has a standard 52/39 and 12-26 chainset and the Defy 1 50/34 and 11-28.

Will this be easier to use when climbing?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    elbows wrote:
    Will this be easier to use when climbing?

Yes - quite a lot easier!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    if you are finding it too easy you can swap the cassette for a new one.

You shouldn't be disappointed with the Defy, I got my Defy 1 in Jan and its amazing :mrgreen:

I'm not surprised there is a wait until may - its a great bike!
  • elbows
    Generally speaking, how much is the Defy better than the Carrera?
  • alihisgreat
    elbows wrote:
    Generally speaking, how much is the Defy better than the Carrera?

I haven't has a ride on a Carrera... but have you read this? http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-1-12-45849

"Buy if: You want the best riding bike we know of for this price"

and here's a piccy of mine for you to look at until may!

6846548910_3b804b3ae3.jpg

I don't envy the wait!
  • elbows
    Went to my LBS to see when the Defy is available - July!! thinking of changing my mind and getting a cannondale caad 10 105. Please feedback my choice?
  • alihisgreat
    elbows wrote:
    Went to my LBS to see when the Defy is available - July!! thinking of changing my mind and getting a cannondale caad 10 105. Please feedback my choice?

Also gets great reviews, but its a race bike as opposed to the more relaxed and comfortable Defy.

The extra £300 or so will get you a full 105 groupset and nicer wheels though.