Trains

cov_bcfc
cov_bcfc Posts: 21
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

I have a question about bikes on trains, which up until a few days ago was fine. Let me explain what happened.

The train I get on with my bike is the old style, it has no specific bicycle holding area so I usually find the disabled area and put my bike next to the fold up seats, out of the way. However recently a few more cyclists have got on before me at earlier stops and they put their bikes there first (two of them). Therefore when I got on, I asked them if I could rest my bike on theirs, they said no problem. This is where the problem arose. My bike was blocking the walkway (at the end of the train, so not a lot of people traffic trying to get to the doors), but people could step over or ask me to move it. One person decided to kick my bike before I said something and we had a confrontation. Not something I want to have when travelling to work earlier in the morning!

So really, where do you guys think I should put my bike? If those spaces are full, maybe I should put it in the doorway of the carriage (obviously in the door that doesn't open) or maybe try at the other end of the train? Any advice would be great!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    the general rule on the trains is that 2 bikes can be carried at one time in rush hour. most companies have this rule. if its not a rush hour, the guard will allow another bike if the train is empty. if it was the rush hour and the train was full, then the guard should have said no. until they sort the trains out, you will have to put up with the numpties. sorry!
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    Hi there,

You don't give any indication which train company it is you use or where you are travelling to. Each one has their own rules and IME there doesn't appear to be any standard policy.

You are very unlikely to be able to take a full sized bike anywhere near a rush hour train heading for London with only folding bikes allowed.

I would also imagine they insist that access to the doors and walkways should be kept clear at all times for safety purposes.

Is there only one space on your train that you can use or are there additional places further up the train that might not be so crowded? Or if it's getting to be a problem - perhaps an earlier train?

BromyG

Red Brompton S6L
  • cov_bcfc
    cov_bcfc Posts: 21
    Hey guys,

The journey is to Bradford. On that train there is only one area for disabled people (at the back of the train). The day after my OP I went middle of the train and put the bike at an angle in the doorway of the unused door. Not a problem as it was quiet and not in anyone's way.

Anyway if things plan out right, I'll be looking at getting a road bike then I'll cycle from home-work as it wouldnt take me ages to do!
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Worth checking up on what the Train Operating Company state about bikes on trains for example for Norther Rail:

http://www.northernrail.org/travel/cycl ... -on-trains

"We can only carry a maximum of two bikes per train but conductors have responsibility for the safety of their train and have the right to refuse entry if the train is busy. "

I've noticed on my line (SWT) as trains have got busier over the years, bikes are less and less tolerated. At present all but the smallest folding bikes have been banned from trains during commuter hours, and guards have been known to kick cyclists off trains if there are train delays / overcrowding later in the day!

I would recommend starting to plan commuting the whole distance by bike - throughout the year!
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I really wish the train companies would get their act together, especially regarding bikes on trains. Fares have increased massively and are set to keep increasing. I keep seeing posters on trains about the many millions they have invested in improving services, yet the reality is they are using the same damn rolling stock from many years ago, and I really cant see where they have spent the money. The fact that many trains are over-crowded means that bikes will take second place and demonstrates that the operators couldn't give a feck.
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    not really good/allowed to block a door no matter if it is being used or not,what if a fire were to break out etc the door would then be a fire exit!
    The guy shouldn't have kicked your bike but like wise he shouldn't have to ask you to move it either,sounds to me you have been lucky getting your bike on the train when there are already bikes there,I have seen people refused many times,your best bet is to try and keep your bike in an area where it is safe and try and move it before someone has to ask you,really tho if the train has a safe limit for bikes you shouldn't be on there,sorry if that sounds harsh but safety of a few hundred people comes before a bike.