Garmin Speed/Cadence set up help - edge 800

GSP1984
GSP1984 Posts: 79
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone have one of these fitted and FULLY understand it?

I just fitted a GSC10 to my XC bike, but I'm confused about the speed sensor.

On one hand it says that it's all self calibrating because of the edge 800 GPS doing the speed... Does this mean I don't need to worry about entering wheel sizes in the bike profiles pages (as this has switched to automatic)

Do I literally have to do nothing other than make sure the edge 800 recognises the GSC10?

Ultimately I don't want to get to the end of a 40mile ride for the data to say it was a 20miles ride and my average speed was 14mph.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Correct, just ride. I am assuming that the Garmin compares the distance calculated by the GPS signal and the number of revolutions counted by the wheel sensor and then does the maths.

When you first spin the pedals, a green light should appear on the sensor on each revolution for the first 20 seconds. That shows you that the sensor is picking up the magnets.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I still smile whenever I see your signature.

On that basis shouldn't you be saying "for the first 10,100 seconds"?
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    alanp23 wrote:
    I still smile whenever I see your signature.
    On that basis shouldn't you be saying "for the first 10,100 seconds"?
    Either that or 0x14 :D

Oh how us geeks love a good laugh.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I paired mine with the Edge800 as per the instructions. A few rotations of the crank and wheel should pair the units. As for the calibration, I entered the wheel/tyre circumference rather than set it as automatic, that way (I assume) you get more accurate speed and distance readings. IT was easy to set up, it's in the bike settings menu.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Fitted and set up mine yesterday, on the settings I left it on automatic and after about 500 metres the unit told me it has acquired the wheel size.

Not had a big ride out yet that will be the test tomorrow.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I set mine to 2096 (standard 700x23c road wheel) and it seems accurate. If you look on the forums, a few people have had problems with auto calibration. Re GPS: when using the GSC10, the sensor overrides the GPS speed/distance and provides a more consistent measurement especially when going through densely wooded areas.