Upgrading Hydraulic Disc Brakes

eugene1277
eugene1277 Posts: 29
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi guys...

Hello to all, im new on the forum so be kind lol...

I used to do a bit of mountain biking when i was younger (14-17) but have not done anything in years...

I have had an urge to get back in to it so i purchased a second hand Giant Terrago of my friend.. I believe it is the FS2 2003 model..(could be wrong though)

Anyway it has had some parts upgraded from the standard ones that came with it.... The current Hydraulic Discs are not the greatest and i want to upgrade them...

Currently i have Giant MPH... I have had problems with them clamping, even after bleeding, i looked in to it and it turns out its a common problem with the MPH.... I think at the moment the current disc rotor sizes are both 6"...

Now i want to purchase some Avid Elixir 5's... The front forks i have on the bike are Marzocchi MX Pro's... Its says that the forks are capable of taking a 6" rotor for discs... Now could i still somehow use a larger rotor for more power, say a 180mm one? Would i need to have some sort of adaptor to do this... Or would a 165mm rotor be fine.. Im guessing that is the current size on the bike at the moment.. Same on the back...

Forgive me for being a bit of a noob. But like i say i've bee out of touch with bikes for many years now... V-Breaks were quite new when i was last riding, all this discs and hydro's are a bit of a mind field to me....

Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated...

Thanks guys..

:):)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The brakes should come with rotors and adaptors to fit your bike. You can use larger rotors, is just a case of getting the rigth adaptor.
  • Thanks for your reply supersonic...

So even though the front forks say they can handle up to a 6" rotor it would be perfectly fine to go for a larger rotor?

There wouldn't be any issues , like to much strain being put on the rotors or the forks from it being larger than recommended if that makes sense...

Thanks
  • supersonic
    I thought MX Pros were fine to 185mm?
  • Oh right... Perhaps they are, im sure when i looked on the Marzocchi website for them it said they were good for 6" rotors...

Ah it says that they are good for 6" post mount? Is that something completely different? Forgive the noob... hahah
  • supersonic
    It means that the post mount will take a post mount brake directly for use with a 160mm rotor (sometime, confusingly called 6"!) with no adaptors.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ah! Easy mistake.
    See, a long time ago, there was the Manitou post mount standard. Then came the 6" post mount. And I believe Fox 40s, and Rockshox Boxxers have their own version of post mount (or did at one point).

As Sonic said, the 6" in this case means the calliper will be placed just right to accept a 6" rotor, when you don't have any adapters.
  • Right i see... So i can sucessfully install a 185mm Avids on my bike with o problems other tha the need for an adapter? Would the necessary adapter come as standard with these breaks...

Thanks for the info guys... Been a great help :)
  • supersonic
    You will most likely need to buy the adaptor and rotor. Though depends on the exact spec of what you are buying, look closely!
  • The set comes with the rotors, calipers, levers.. Doesnt say if comes with any adapters.. I will ask and find out.

Does say that they are fron and rear IS fitting... Does that necessarily change things in any way?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    eugene1277 wrote:
    The set comes with the rotors, calipers, levers.. Doesnt say if comes with any adapters.. I will ask and find out.

Does say that they are fron and rear IS fitting... Does that necessarily change things in any way?
    Not really. It's very for the callipers to use an IS fitting to attatch to an adapter, which then connects to the fork via a 6" post mount.
    It is easier, however, to align brakes which natively use a post mount.
  • Ok, so i just asked the guy if wether they would fit my bike, and if there were any adapters with the pack... He said he did not know, and was unsure...

So basically heres the link to the breaks in question...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280710099237? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

Can anyone see if there would be any issues in mounting these at all.... And also can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable adapter that i would need..

Thankyou muchly :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nope, those actually have IS adapters on them. See the calliper (the bit that grabs onto the disc) have a black bar connected to them? That's the adapter, and it's an IS one.
    I'd be wary of buying bike parts from an ebay shop who have ultimately no idea what they're selling!
  • Oh right, lovely. So could just stick these straight on then?

Yeah iknow what you mean, I was kind of expecting them to know something. But using paypal, so will be covered of anything happens.. Think I may go or them...

Thanks for all your help guys.. Very helpful
  • YeehaaMcgee
    eugene1277 wrote:
    Oh right, lovely. So could just stick these straight on then?

Yeah iknow what you mean, I was kind of expecting them to know something. But using paypal, so will be covered of anything happens.. Think I may go or them...

Thanks for all your help guys.. Very helpful
    Erm, no, they have the WRONG adapter! (for your fork at least).
    But, adapters are pretty cheap, so get those brakes if you want, and spend a few quid on the correct adapter afterwards.
  • Oh right sorry.. Could you point me in the right direction to a suitable adaptor then? Also would the back one also need an adaptor or would that work ok
  • supersonic
    The adaptor is removable though, ie the brakes are PM and direct bolt on for your forks and the 160mm rotor.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    If you're set on Elixir 5's I would go for these:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... LIXIR5.htm
    £34 cheaper when discount is added, latest 2012 model with newer rotors and comes with the right adaptor for your fork.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    davewalsh wrote:
    If you're set on Elixir 5's I would go for these:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... LIXIR5.htm
    £34 cheaper when discount is added, latest 2012 model with newer rotors and comes with the right adaptor for your fork.
    Ebay guy is selling them for £159.95 for a pair. Merlin are selling them for £139.95 per end.
  • @ davewalsh...

Brilliant, thanks very much.... I persume you are referring to the 160mm set with IS and post mounts?

Would it not be better to go for the 160/180mm rotar set and get an adaptor? Asuming that the front rotar is 180mm then i would need one of these adaptors right? The top one 180mm IS front or 160mm IS Rear right?

Cheers
  • davewalsh
    Ebay guy is selling them for £159.95 for a pair. Merlin are selling them for £139.95 per end.
    The merlin price is for both ends. Works out at £126 when you add the 10% discount they're currently offering.
    eugene1277 wrote:
    @ davewalsh...

Brilliant, thanks very much.... I persume you are referring to the 160mm set with IS and post mounts?

Would it not be better to go for the 160/180mm rotar set and get an adaptor? Asuming that the front rotar is 180mm then i would need one of these adaptors right? The top one 180mm IS front or 160mm IS Rear right?

Cheers
    I was referring to the 'Black - 180/160 HS1 Rotors - Post Mount Front' set. They will come with all the bits you need, including the front post mount adaptor.
  • davewalsh
    BTW, before buying anything I would double check what mounts your forks have, as a mate of mine has a set of Marzocchi's of a simalar age and they're IS mount. There's a full explination of the difference here but basically, a Post Mount fork has 2 threaded holes in the rear of the brake bosses whereas an IS mount has 2 clearance holes drilled through the sides of the bosses. You need to be sure what type of fork you have so you can get the right adaptor.
  • I believe that it is a post mount... According to this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mar ... 0#features

Looking at the break on there at the moment, it does appear to have an adapter, so i guess there shouldt be a problem in opting for the set you suggested davewalsh...

Thanks...

Will be making the purchase later...

Hopefully it wont be too much of a pain fitting them

• YeehaaMcgee
    davewalsh wrote:
    The merlin price is for both ends.
    Eh?
    I misread it, sorry. I thought
    Black - 180/160 HS1 Rotors - Post Mount Front - £139.95

Meant that was the price, and you had a choice of 160 or 180mm rotor :oops:
  • davewalsh
    eugene1277 wrote:
    Looking at the break on there at the moment, it does appear to have an adapter, so i guess there shouldt be a problem in opting for the set you suggested davewalsh...
    If there's no adaptor then just look at the bolt heads. If they're on the rear face of the lug with the bolt pointing forwards they're PM, if they're on the side with the bolt going in sideways they're IS.