Punctures!!! AARRGGHH!!!

tommy-leg
tommy-leg Posts: 48
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi guys,
I've been commuting to work for 5 days now, and even though only 1 mile of my 5.5 mile journey is off road i have now had 2 punctures! Is there anything available out there to help me limit the amount i get? I absolutly love biking to work, but this is starting to get a tad annoying now!! :x

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    What type of puncture?

If its pinch flats your running the pressure too low, if its thorns etc, slime tubes could help but you may be better going tubeless.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • tommy-leg
    Yeah, sorry, its thorns! What are slime tubes? and how would i go about going tubeless? Is that solid tyres?
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Google is your friend... :)
  • tommy-leg
    I've fell out with google. it lies
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    milfredo wrote:
    Google is your friend... :)
    tommy-leg wrote:
    I've fell out with google. it lies
    Well, bing then.

What are the tyres you're currently running? I've (touch wood) had very little problems with thorn punctures in the last several years, it seems modern tyres are a bit more resistant than they used to be.
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    <egg sucking lesson>
    It's not clear in your post but, are your tyres worn down or not? Once-upon-a-time I experienced multiple (>5) p*tures in one week of commuting. When I checked the tyres they "looked" fine, it was only after I took them off checked carefully that I noticed that they were worn thin.

With a new set of tyres the problem went away? Go figure!
    </egg sucking lesson>
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    tommy-leg wrote:
    Yeah, sorry, its thorns! What are slime tubes? and how would I go about going tubeless? Is that solid tyres?

At the risk of being helpful....

google stans no tubes for some info. There is a nice little application on their web site which you plug in your make and model of rims and it tells you what kit to buy.

Basically you remove your inner tube, seal up your rims with rim tape and a new valve an dthen add some white gooey slime, that stes on contact with air, which fills any existing holes and seals any new punctures as you get them.

look on youtube as well
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    There's loads of possible solutions:

Retrofit Kevlar linings
    New/Different tyres
    Slime tubes
    Tubeless tyres etc.

Or find an on road detour :mrgreen:
  • tommy-leg
    Just fitted a brand new set of fast tracks so fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the responses everyone, if it reoccures at least i have some other options! :)
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Besides puncture resistant tyres, slime tubes do work. They do sometimes splurge crap out of the valve when you attach your pump to top up, and they weigh more, but for commuting there isnt a downside.
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard

Bloody pain to get onto wheels and god forbid you get a punture with them, ie getting them off and getting a new inner in is another story..BUT

So far done a good 100 miles nearly in them and 0 puntures on my commute to work.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • schwalbe city jets best thing ever have a built in puncture tape and it works very well used them for 2 years and I never had a puncture 'touch wood'
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!