Knocked off last night!

irishdan13
irishdan13 Posts: 76
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
No nothing stolen.............

7.30pm kids in bed, nice evening, sun still out, so time to get out and do the regular 20 mile loop. 2 minutes in and with a smile on my face a lad in a mini pulls straight across me leaving me nowhere to go other than into his side and over the roof.

As you might expect this resulted in shouts of pain, bleeding and a loss of the smile from my face, followed by full admision of guilt from him, provision of his insurer's details and details of a witness recorded. Buckled wheel, torn clothing, scuffed (and blood splattered) shoes plus any other damage to be identified by the LBS and costs.

What I didn't expect was that I would have to console him as he was shaking so much.

Very sore today but happy that his insurance company have accepted full liability and costs.

May have to cross back to the muddy side of things unil the bike is repaired.

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
Giant Trance X2 '09
GT Avalanche Expert '07
Claud Butler Milano '07

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Bad luck but.........
    pleased you are OK.
    A warm bath and painkillers will see you back on the bike ASAP.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Irishdan13 wrote:

7.30pm kids in bed, nice evening, sun still out, so time to get out and do the regular 20 mile loop. 2 minutes in and with a smile on my face a lad in a mini pulls straight across me leaving me nowhere to go other than into his side and over the roof.

As you might expect this resulted in shouts of pain, bleeding and a loss of the smile from my face, followed by full admision of guilt from him, provision of his insurer's details and details of a witness recorded. Buckled wheel, torn clothing, scuffed (and blood splattered) shoes plus any other damage to be identified by the LBS and costs.

What I didn't expect was that I would have to console him as he was shaking so much.

Very sore today but happy that his insurance company have accepted full liability and costs.

Sorry for you of course and I hope any injuries are temporary, but he sounds like a good kid.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment wrote:
    Sorry for you of course and I hope any injuries are temporary, but he sounds like a good kid.

Yeah - no problems with him. He accepted responsibility straight away and was concerned for me. He also called later to make sure I was OK. He just made a mistake. I was more annoyed that I didn't get to finish my ride.

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
    Giant Trance X2 '09
    GT Avalanche Expert '07
    Claud Butler Milano '07
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    It must have been a night for it. The co-owner of my LBS was tweeting last night that he was out for a ride (Lichfield area) with a mate who got knocked off by a For Mondeo who then failed to stop. Last I heard the ambulance and police were called, the cyclist was OK, bike was damaged and Mondeo driver later found as they had the reg number.

Glad you're OK. I had a very similar accident when I was cycling to school 20 years ago. I still went to school - what an idiot!
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Gizmodo wrote:
    It must have been a night for it. The co-owner of my LBS was tweeting last night that he was out for a ride (Lichfield area) with a mate who got knocked off by a For Mondeo who then failed to stop. Last I heard the ambulance and police were called, the cyclist was OK, bike was damaged and Mondeo driver later found as they had the reg number.

Glad you're OK. I had a very similar accident when I was cycling to school 20 years ago. I still went to school - what an idiot!
    Sorry for your mate of course and I hope any injuries are temporary, but the driver sounds like a right tosser.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Driver made a mistake and did the right thing, admitted it to his insurers.
    At least only superficial injuries by the sound of it. A lucky result.
    Peter
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    iainment wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:

Sorry for your mate of course and I hope any injuries are temporary, but the driver sounds like a right tosser.
    Words vey similar to that were used on twitter.

Just to be clear, we are talking about a different incident to the OT here.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Irishdan13 wrote:

Glad you're not too seriously hurt and it's real bad luck.......................................to have to resort to mud pupping. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    iainment wrote:

Sounds much like the guy that hit me. I was calm and collected once I had checked that I was okay.
    He was white as a sheet and visibly shaking. He also paid up in full for all my repairs.

Fair to say that the drivers in both cases have learned something.

On the other hand, it took more than 24 hours for the bruising and aches & pains to fully show up.
    Hope you (and your bike :wink: ) are both back on the road soon.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    I not advocating ambulance chasing lawyers, but I would at least have a read of the CTCs claims advice PDF.

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/information/crash
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • eede wrote:
    I not advocating ambulance chasing lawyers, but I would at least have a read of the CTCs claims advice PDF.

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/information/crash

Thanks eede but I work as a HSE Manager and don't intend to "over egg the pudding". I am only bruised and nothing worse plus the kid already admitted responsibility to his insurer and they are willing to accept costs. I don't want to take the mick.

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
    Giant Trance X2 '09
    GT Avalanche Expert '07
    Claud Butler Milano '07